ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to the top and staying there...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Okay, we have proven we can hang with the big dogs of the SEC to some degree and been on the cusp of the college football playoff. What next? Get to the top and stay there. So, how do we do that? First, build from the inside out. We've done that and are continuing to get the big uglies on both sides of the ball. Sure, we might a little thin at offensive tackle at the moment, but I have full confidence the staff will continue to build that up.

Got the lines, what's next? Get gamechangers. Those are guys who can flip the field, the momentum and in some instances the entire game, in an instant. We've had these type of players before, Johnny, Myles Garrett, Mike Evans et al. But we haven't had enough of them to keep up with Bama, Georgia and whoever else. When I look at Bama in particular and their string of championships, I see the talent, depth and coaching everyone else sees. But I also see a lot of guys who can do a little bit more to beat you and those are the players I'm talking about....

On Bama's defense, have you ever noticed they always seem to have that DB who is always in the backfield or near the line blowing up opposing offenses?! Minkah Fitzpatrick did it for years. This year it is Bryan Branch. Remember Jaylen Waddle crushing our hopes with long punt returns?! I do. This year, Bama got a little of their own back with Achane on the kickoff return and that's what I'm talking about.

Versatility and playmaking are a big part in making championship teams. Our own Swiss Army Knife, Number 0, has caused Lord Saban to lose a lot of sleep. Achane can be that same kind of problem for them. On defense, Antonio Johnson can be a terror off the edge and I have no doubt we'll have enough in the front seven to wreak havoc for a lot of offenses. Gamechangers. We need them because sure as the suns comes up, they'll have them in Tuscaloosa....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News