ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday at New Kyle talk (GFY if already posted)

Higher Authority

Gold Member
I don't get a chance to go to more than a game a two a year, so my impression of games at Kyle is probably not quite as nuanced as those of you who go to every game. Nicholls St was my second game so far in the new Kyle, and I took some time to really pay attention to the actual game presentation.

The game presentation management at Kyle Field is so much better now than it has been the last few years. Assuming the rest of the games are the same as what they did on Saturday, Kyle Field is as good as any other college gameday experience if not better, and I couldn't say that last year.

Random thoughts:

-No more random introduction of people down on the field between breaks

This is the biggest asswhipping of the gameday presentation, and now they've completely done away with them. Hallelujah! I don't care that the 1986 volleyball team that won 8 straight sets against Texas Tech is on the field. It was a killer of the atmosphere and the crowd energy. Gone.

-Constant commercials on the vidja boards are gone

I appreciate the money that Academy and Slovacek's spend with A&M, but I can see commericals at home. As well, these would zap the energy of the crowd. Gone.

-The new announcer is really good

Not sure if I like the "another Aggie...FIRST DOWN" bit, but whatever. It made a lot of noise and seemed to have the crowd into it.

-Did they announce the attendance?

I didn't see it, but then again everyone in my section was old, white, and mad, so I was paying attention to what they were saying about how much money they spend every year, and that the new coach better be ready to fix this shit.

-Awesome coordination between the DJ and the FTA Band.

Seemed super rehearsed and well-timed. Solid tunes being played on the breaks, which made the old women bitch a bunch. Not sure if "Rock you like a Hurricane" was the best song selection, but overall extremely upbeat and kept the crowd momentum going.

-FTA Band playing right up until the snap

This was an interesting twist...maybe it's because we never did it, but the band played their asses off right up until the other team snapped the ball on offense. Dick move, but I love it.

-Acoustics of New Kyle are astounding

I was on the 3rd deck around the 30y line, and every time the band would crank up, it would take me a little bit to find them even though I knew exactly where they were. The speakers are very loud, to the point where the old women in my section were bitching constantly about how loud it was. They were also bitching about the music selection, saying they didn't pay $xx,xxx to go to a "rap concert" (that number kept getting bigger as the night went on). The cannon is deafening inside New Kyle.

-Yell Leaders are actually leading yells

This is a HUGE departure from previous years, but I think it was mostly due to the amount of people they'd introduce in between each commercial break. Lots of activity, lots of yells, and they even threw in a Sit Down, Bus Driver, which is the best of all the Aggie Yells. Great change from yesteryear.

-Crowd noise

The crowd noise was good WHEN the crowd was up. Lots of buy-in on the New Army "First Down" bit, and when they got loud, they got loud. Lots of dead air, though. The crowd was mostly gone by the middle of the fourth quarter, too.

-Prairie View A&M Band won halftime

They need to be at Kyle at least once a year, maybe even twice. Hell, maybe even all games. Love the PVAMU band. I want one or two of those Black Foxes dancers in an extreme sexual way. The phone light Harvey bit seemed hokey at first, but New Kyle really got into it and it looked pretty badass.

Overall, I think that the gameday experience is way better than it was before, but it's just not the same as it used to be. The crowd ran the show before, and the students today can't run it like before so they have to add in all the extra production value. It's a totally new day with a new feel...felt more like an NFL game than a college game due to the quality of the presentation, but with the crowd participation it brings a really unique experience. For a big game (that we are actually competitive in), I'd bet the changes will be awesome to behold.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News