Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Aggies add players to injury report

In case you didn't see it last night, Conner Weigman is now questionable (by definition, a 50/50 shot to play) for Saturday's game at Florida. He has been dealing with a shoulder issue since the Notre Dame game, when he got hurt. There was some doubt as to whether he'd play last week, but he did as we all know. If the injury is what I think it is, it's similar to the one Johnny Manziel and Trevor Knight endured (an AC joint). You can play with it, it's just a matter of pain tolerance.
Weigman's decision will likely be made at gametime. This is purely a gut feeling, but I think he'll go. On the other hand, Miles O'Neill is traveling this week, so...I guess we'll see.

Tyreek Chappell is out and is probably out for a long time, if not the season. He was hurt in practice and I'm told it was not a good deal. That really sucks, because he was really coming into his own at nickel. On the other hand, he is eligible to redshirt, so he will likely return next season. He was really happy when Mike Elko returned, the two have a strong bond and that should keep him around.

Safety Trey Jones is also out. I'm not sure what his injury is, but I'll do some digging. Regardless, that shortens the safety rotation.

So who's up next?

Marcel Reed will start if Weigman can't. He outplayed Jaylen Henderson in training camp and Collin Klein really likes what he can do in terms of being a dual threat. This, of course, would be his first career start (he came in on the second play against Oklahoma State), so there's concern about inexperience and being in a hostile venue. But Reed has gotten the majority of first team snaps each of the last two weeks to give Weigman's arm a break.

Jaydon Hill will move into the starting lineup at nickel. The Gators don't seem to have much respect for their former teammate, with one player saying that they should run right at him and Scooby Williams.

Williams is also an iffy proposition. If he can't go, Daymion Sanford will start. On the plus side, Solomon DeShields really had a good game last weekend, so hopefully those two will be able to handle things next to Taurean York.

With Jones being out, Bryce Anderson, Marcus Ratcliffe and Dalton Brooks will be the primary safeties. We may see Jarred Kerr some as well.

On the other side...

A&M has injury concerns, but Florida is battered. Their best wideout, Eugene Wilson, is questionable and I've heard the odds of him playing are not good at all. He has the proverbial "lower body injury", but if a receiver can't run, it's not much help -- even if he has practiced some this week. There's a lot of talk of Florida having to look at some new faces because some of the other projected starters were lost for the year before training camp even started.

Defensive end T.J. Searcy, who has six tackles while starting the first two games, is also very iffy.

The Gators have already lost two starting defensive backs, CB Ja'Keem Jackson and S Asa Turner, to injuries and they're both ruled out.

The O-line knows the pressure is on

With Weigman iffy and the weather quite possibly being an issue tomorrow -- right now, thunderstorms are expected to clear right at gametime, but lightning could delay it -- there's a real need for the Aggie offensive line to control things tomorrow. I said earlier in the week that Le'Veon Moss may be the most important player in this game, and my opinion hasn't changed. A&M needs to go out there, control the line of scrimmage and make life easier for Weigman or Reed. Thankfully, A&M's offensive line -- or, the new version after Mark Nabou's loss -- is fully healthy.

4-star WR making his pick next Wednesday

Jerome Myles of Draper, Utah, will make his college choice next week. A lot of people have thought in-state Utah had the edge, but his three finalists include A&M and USC. Of late, it seems like USC has the momentum, but it doesn't seem like anything's done. The Aggies do have one ace in the hole: they're closing in on his quarterback, 2026 4-star Helaman Cusaga, as their signal caller for that class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.