Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com
Projected two-deep for this week
QB: Conner Weigman/Marcel Reed
RB: Le'Veon Moss/Amari Daniels (EJ Smith as the 3rd down back)
TE: Tre Watson/Donovan Green
TE: Theo Ohrstrom/Shane Calhoun
WR (X): Jahdae Walker/Terry Bussey
WR (SLOT): Moose Muhammad/Micah Tease
WR (Z): Noah Thomas/Cyrus Allen

LT: Trey Zuhn/Dametrious Crownover
LG: Chase Bisontis/Aki Ogunbiyi
C: Koli Faaiu/TJ Shanahan
RG: Mark Nabou/Kam Dewberry
RT: Ar'Maj Reed-Adams/Deuce Fatheree

DE: Nic Scourton/Cashius Howell
NT: Albert Regis/DJ Hicks
DT: Shemar Turner/Rodas Johnson
DE: Shemar Stewart/Rylan Kennedy

WILL: Daymion Sanford/Solomon DeShields
MIKE: Taurean York/Scooby Williams

NICKEL: Tyreek Chappell/Jaydon Hill
CB: Will Lee/Jayvon Thomas
FS: Bryce Anderson/Marcus Ratcliffe
SS: Trey Jones/Dalton Brooks
CB: BJ Mayes/Dezz Ricks

What position competitions remain?
RT/RG: This is basically whether Crownover or Fatheree can show enough to bump Reed-Adams back inside. It hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will.
WR: Has Bussey done enough to lock himself into the top six? Or has he done enough to bump someone like Muhammad back in the rotation? Bussey and Tease have the most speed, and Thomas and Walker are set.
NT: It's just a matter of who gets the first snaps between Regis and Hicks. Both will play. That's established.
WILL: It's still a competition between DeShields, Sanford and Williams. But Sanford has been out there the most and he's the fastest of the group, so I lean his way.
NICKEL: Chappell likely wins this one over Hill, but it's not a certainty.
CB: Mayes and Ricks are still competing, and Mayes (by his own twitter admission) missed time being in concussion protocol. I don't have a leader in this one right now. Again, both will play.

Transfer portal could get changed (again)
I learned this morning about a proposal that will go to the NCAA's D1 Council to eliminate the spring transfer portal entirely (for football). The only time you could transfer would be the four-week period between Dec. 9 and Jan. 7. I think coaches would be just fine with this, because it will provide more stability going into the late signing period and spring practice. It will almost certainly have an impact on winter transfers, as anyone who thinks they may want to go probably will.

On the recruiting front
I expect 5-star LB/S Jonah Williams to pick Texas tomorrow. I do not know his reasoning. He has had A&M, OU, Oregon and LSU as his leaders at one time or another and he just kind of bounces around between all these teams. I would be very surprised if A&M throws in the towel if he commits elsewhere, for the very reasons mentioned. This recruitment will probably keep going.

I want to point something out that Michael Fasusi said when he committed to OU this week: "Who develops the best o-linemen? Coach B. Who puts the most o-linemen in the NFL? Coach B (offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh)."
Bedenbaugh has been at OU since 2013. He has a track record of putting guys in the NFL. That is a selling point. A&M lost out because, even though Fasusi loves Adam Cushing, he has no track record at A&M, in Collin Klein's system, yet. A&M is having the same issue at receiver. Holmon Wiggins has a great track record at Alabama, but what's he going to do in this offense? That's why you have a wait and see approach from wideouts and offensive linemen right now -- at least, the absolute top of the line. If A&M comes out and performs well, and this offense puts up numbers, things will change. Defense doesn't have that much of an issue because Mike Elko does have a track record of success at A&M.
Kids aren't going to gamble on their future. They want a sure thing, or something close to it. Relationships are important, and that's why A&M has had some very solid success in the 2025 class, but the top of the line guys, who can punch their own ticket, have their own set of standards.

The Notre Dame game visitor's list is still being assembled, but I can tell you already it's going to be impressive. It will also be largely centered around the 2026 class. The Aggies may only have two or three more targets that are uncommitted at this point for 2025, even though they'll keep working on several guys committed elsewhere. I've hit on this before, but the recruiting calendar has changed. Most 2025 recruiting will be done before the end of the summer, with the change in focus to 2026 happening around Aug. 1. And we've already seen that happen with the recruits who came to the pool party and the ones saying they'll be at A&M on the 31st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.