Friday TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003

For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:​

Phone: 281-971-3362​

Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

First steps taken in Olsen expansion

I got an email from A&M this morning that has also gone out to donors, asking for input on proposals for renovation and expansion of Olsen Field (yeah, yeah, Blue Bell Park). I have heard that the plans, which are still in the initial stages, call for an investment of approximately $30 million. That would add more seats and additional indoor facilities for the team so they can still get things done when dealing with inclement weather. This is, from what I can gather, the initial plan. The funds haven't been raised yet.
The text of the letter follows, and apologies to those of you who have already received it:

From the beginning of Olsen Field to Blue Bell Park, from the Raggies to Section 203, the 12th Man and the support at Texas A&M home baseball games has been unbelievable. But we have more work to do, and we need the 12th Man. In the coming weeks, the 12th Man Foundation will send out a research survey asking for input from our baseball fans into enhancing our baseball facility.

“I have only been here a short time, but I love the fan support our Aggie baseball team receives from the 12th Man,” Director of Athletics Trev Alberts said. “They are passionate and want the very best for our baseball program.”

Aggie head coach Jim Schlossnagle has already won more games in Omaha than any Aggie baseball coach in history, and he currently has the top-ranked club in the country.

“Our guys believe there is something magical at home and it’s because of the fans in the stands,” Aggie baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle said. “We want to elevate our gameday experience to align with the rich traditions and unwavering support of our baseball program.”

“The 12th Man has always stood ready to help in any way,” Schlossnagle added. “We can enhance our gameday experience, provide more opportunities for fans to attend games and create a culture of excellence that keeps Aggie baseball at the top of collegiate baseball. Please take the time to give us your feedback by filling out this survey. We need your help.”

“Aggie baseball supporters are extremely engaged and have an unwavering commitment to the program,” 12th Man Foundation president and CEO Travis Dabney said. “Their valuable input will be instrumental in helping shape and support facility enhancements.”

When Schloss bangs the drum about Olsen needed to be expanded, he's not kidding. The success of this project may be required in order to keep him around, and to keep players around too. Gavin Grahovac's dad has already made noises about his son leaving if the promises to expand which were made during his recruitment don't occur. So if one's thinking it, other players (read: potential transfers in) are probably thinking it too.

Rivals camp evals:

I got a look at some of the guys A&M is after in the 2025 class who were at the Rivals camp in Dallas last weekend and wanted to give you a quick evaluation of a few of them.

4-star OL Jonte Newman
During early drills, I was a little worried about his lateral movement because he seemed kind of stiff and not all that great going side to side. I shouldn't have worried about it. He saved his best work for when it mattered, the 1-on-1s. He has outstanding lower body strength and just stoned anyone who tried a straight bull rush. That includes Jahkeem Stewart, the #1 player in the 2026 class, who looks like a young Jason Taylor. He's got long arms and does well in warding guys off, but he'll be better at it when he gets into Moffitt's S&C program. I think he projects as a tackle, and from what I can tell, Adam Cushing believes that too. A&M thinks he's seriously underrated, even if he is a 4-star.
He will official in June, but I'm still worried about Texas here. They were all in on him and haven't backed off yet.

4-star DB Sael Reyes
Hey, this guy plays like Antonio Johnson! What a coincidence! (For those of you who don't get it, Reyes is AJ's brother.)
Reyes is extremely similar to AJ in many ways. He's already got the safety size (6-1, 180, and growing) but has the corner speed. He's not a turn and run corner, but he is outstanding breaking on the ball and doesn't give up position on the deep ball. In other words, he's tough to get past. If the ball is in front of him, he breaks quickly and pounces on a receiver. He kind of stalks receivers, for lack of a better term. He recognizes patterns quickly and has an explosive first step.
Jimbo did an awful job of recruiting him and they had no interest in DJ Durkin. But, since Mike Elko has arrived, this recruitment has done a 180 and it's all A&M right now. AJ is pushing him really hard to commit to the Aggies. And, I'll be honest: I took one look and said, "Well, Elko has his nickel."

4-star WR Taz Williams
He's a smooth operator, this one. He's so smooth running routes, in fact, that it doesn't seem like he's trying as he runs past people. His acceleration is outstanding, but what sets him apart is his ability to stop and change direction with minimal effort. He can drive a defensive back off, stop and either stay right where he is or break in a different direction, giving himself plenty of room to operate. His hands are outstanding.
A&M is the only in-state school in this one, and I think it'll come down to them and Michigan. Who leads depends on who you talk to, but I got the vibe in talking with him that A&M's in a good spot right now.

Aggies closing in on another corner?

Pearland Shadow Creek CB Cobey Sellers will announce his commitment next Saturday, and right now things look favorable for the Aggies. It's a pretty impressive change, considering he was all OU for a long time. But this coaching staff has done a much better job of going out and getting face time with players and Jordan Peterson and Ish Aristide, in particular, really came after Sellers. He visited a couple of times in the spring and that helped push A&M ahead. Sellers is really athletic and has played multiple positions at Shadow Creek, kind of like Dalton Brooks did at Shiner (though Shiner's a lot smaller school).

How did A&M flip the Jonah Williams recruitment around?

It's a very similar story, except Elko was personally involved in this one as well. This group of coaches will go out and visit players in waves -- for instance, they went out and saw 4-star LB Max Granville the other day, and Jay Bateman went with Tony Jerod-Eddie, Trooper Taylor and Sean Spencer. Four guys for one player, trying to prove that players importance to their plans. When the head coach helps spearhead your efforts, it's noticed. And the fact that A&M's safeties look like they're going to be really, really good this fall didn't hurt either.
As has been noted, Williams is also a quality baseball prospect and has been closely watching the Aggie baseball team. Their success hasn't exactly hurt A&M's chances.

Why was Achane's situation (and Williams') different than Bryce Foster's?
Devon Achane was a top sprinter for the Aggie track team while also becoming an NFL-caliber running back at A&M. Williams may want to try baseball as well as football if he decides on the Aggies.
So why did Bryce Foster's track career lead to his getting cut by the football team?
Here's what I've been told on that. First, being an offensive lineman means you're part of a group, a team within a team. A running back and a safety (or linebacker) are more individual roles. Second, the O-line is trying to recover from a terrible coaching job over the past two seasons, and it was felt that every rep was necessary. Third, fair or foul, the new staff felt like Foster just wasn't that interested in football and would only play on his terms. So he was cut.

So why was Addazio there, anyway?
This is going to infuriate most folks, but there's no sense in not bringing it up. Addazio was hired by Jimbo because Jimmy Sexton asked him for a favor. That's right, both guys are represented by the super agent. So that's why that unmitigated dud was brought in and why he wasn't fired after the disaster that was 2022.

One transfer who has seriously impressed and is not named Nic Scourton
Is right guard Armaj Reed-Adams. I think the Aggies have their two starting guards for this year, even if they aren't saying so. Those guys are Chase Bisontis and Reed-Adams. Reed-Adams has come in and impressed with his work ethic, in the field and in the weight room. He has had no trouble meeting challenges from Moffitt and quickly gained the respect of his teammates. Even though Trey Zuhn is THE guy when it comes to be a leader of the line, Reed-Adams has been a welcome addition of maturity, work ethic and pure, brutal strength in the middle of the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News