ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Kyle talk

Don Keyman

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2004
Listening to his book on tape now so I'm interested in the tall tales that are reported about him. First off, RIP to veteran and father/husband murdered by a coward. And sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm really interested in some of these tall tales about him that don't seem all that right.

For those who have followed his story/read his book, what are your thoughts on the following?

-Post Katrina sniping from the top of the Superdome - approximately 30 armed looters killed?

Attributed to him in news reports and articles but I've only seen reporting on the dubious nature of the claim and nothing verifying he actually said/claimed this happened. This is so damn crazy I have to question he actually claimed it.

-Killed two carjackers on Highway 67 south of Dallas?

Story reported in D Magazine as coming directly from him. Saw a CNN report that claimed the events could not be verified. Do any of you think this happened? Seems dubious.

-Choked out a "former UT great" in a suite at a Longhorn football game?

Again, D Magazine reports he claimed this. He reportedly choked the guy out because the dude recently (days/weeks before?) made out with Kyle's buddy's girlfriend and just happened to walk into the same suite they were at. Dude shits himself. Seems dubious.

-Punched Jesse Ventura?

Fight claimed by him in his book to have happened with unverified celebrity then he verified it involved Ventura on a radio show later. Ventura claimed the fight didn't occur or at least Kyle's version of the events did not happen. Ventura successfully sued Kyle's estate for defamation. Doesn't necessarily mean an altercation didn't take place but makes me wonder.

---------------------------------------------

I'm inclined to think this is primarily the result of the old fashioned, American heroification of a man. Stories and rumors and such become tall tales over time, etc. But Kyle seemed to be the source of some of this himself. The people I know personally that read the book or have followed his story just take these tales (with the exception of the Katrina story) at face value. Was Kyle just a bull-shitter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.