ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket on a kettle

metzger field

Known Member
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
Middle of south central Virginia
My wife and I went out to the place last Friday after work. We normally go out there every weekend once February and the cold weather blows out. I was looking forward to this weekend because I could relax and watch the SEC tournament Friday evening through Sunday. I stopped at the grocery store on the way out to get the weekend's grilling meat. Friday night I planned on smoked chicken wings. I wasn’t sure about Saturday. I didn't see anything that caught my eye until I saw some of those small brisket flats. I've never cooked one of those and since it was just my wife and I, decided to grab one and see what I could do with it for Saturday.
During halftime of the Florida game I took it out of the package and slathered it with mustard and put it back in the fridge. Saturday morning I got it out and put kosher salt and ground pepper on it and let it sit for about an hour.
Currently my smoker is in town and all I have out at the land is a couple of Weber kettle grills. I built a fire with about a half-full large Weber chimney starter and pushed the coals to one side of the Kettle. I put one fist-sized chuck of mesquite on the coals and put the meat on the grill over the side without coals, fat side up. About every hour or so, I would open the grill and add 4-6 pieces of charcoal and another chunk of wood. I have no idea what temperature I was cooking at. I cooked until after the LSU game for a total of about 6 hours. I let the meat sit for about an hour wrapped in some foil and then sliced it. The meat was too tender at times and would not slice good. I think I cooked it about an hour too long to get the consistency I like, but that was the best tasting brisket I have ever cooked and the perfect ending to Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News