ADVERTISEMENT

Bean Bits

vasobean

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2003
Head almost exploded today, was on the field right next to the action, bad ass former players all over the place, recruits right next to me, Chavis hollering like only a D Coordinator can, Aggie baseball in the background vs Miss State - damn near too much for me (man it was awesome!).

Lot of respect for Passwaters and the crew with all the detail they get while watching practices and scrimmages. Too much going on in real time to take everything in! Not like watching on TV and rewinding, etc.

I was lucky enough to be invited to watch, and usually thier are not many people at the closed scrimmages, but this one had a good crowd as it was alumni or former player weekend. So a lot of guys with their families were in attendance, I wish they all could have worn their jerseys so I could get the names.

Saw Rod Harris, Stephen McGhee among many others. Right when I walked up I saw Bucky in the North end zone area. Watched a couple of series with him, and had some fun messing with him. His son is a flat out stud in football and baseball, but he decided to play lacrosse this spring and drop baseball, and Bucky does not know what to make of it, hell, he does not even know the rules! Couple of smoking hot aggie hostesses walked by us, and we shared the ole, man I wish I was back in college look. Bucky is a good dude.

Moved over to the defense sidelines, hardly anybody over there, so was able to literally stand right next to coaches and players, freaking awesome. Most of the recruits were on that side too, or maybe they were just the defense recuits, not sure. This is where I wish Passwaters was there as he would have recognized them, as I was clueless.

I did see two big DL type guys and noticed Chavis and Price spending much time with them. Another dude had a Ronnie Lott jersey on, hoping he commits here and plays like him, could use a Patrick Bates type of safety!

I got to the scrimmage late and missed some early highlights, but here are some I saw:

McQueen hooking up with Ratley on a fade route, nice pass and catch. It was trips right with Ratley being the outside receiver, I think Garner was the corner. The played literally was 5 yards from me, and was cool to see the whole O line come over and mob the kid, plus Allen and new WR coach and Spav joined the mob.

On that drive, they started at the 50, and defense looked bad. It was the 2's. Dolezal had a long run in which he broke 2 tackles.

Next series had the 1's start at the 2 yard line, and first play the LG jumped offsides. But it was all O after that. Allen hit RSJ on crossing route, then Kirk had a great run on the jet sweep, made at least 4 guys miss, was like a video game run. A couple of plays later and B Will went 60 yards for a TD, huge hole and not sure he was touched.

Another series with the 2's and McQueen lead them to another TD. He hit Kirk (I think) on another good fade route, beat Ellis on this one. Moeller came over from safety on the play and almost got there, but hit the WR with a head to head shot and got flagged. Speaking of, not many flags thrown, pretty clean scrimmage.

They did some punt and punt coverage series, Kaser hit a couple of bombs (he is a big kid for a punter).

Had a "halftime" break and went back with the ones.

Series started at the 50, and the defense flipped the script at this point.

Lot of energy coming from the D in the second half, sideline was very animated and coaches were loud.

Defense ran the Mustang package, which is a dime look, for almost whole second half with much success.

Garrett is a freak and had at least 3 sacks, really had more but they let the play keep going. He was everywhere, very impressive.

Claude George knocked down a pass to end a series and got mobbed.

Hall got a good push a couple of times and may have had a sack. He is very tall, and he look thicker.

Cunningham had a nice tackle on a run. No missed tackles by DB's in second half. Allen tried to go deep 2 or 3 times and was either sacked or threw long, no one was really open.

Evans, Watts, and Moeller were safeties in this package and Garner, Harris, and Ellis were corners. Burns would rotate in at safety.

Offense hit a couple of slip screens and some hitch routes, but nothing downfield. Running game was stuffed too, so defense definetly won the second half.

Some observations, at least in the second half:

Offense would line up quickly, but would take a long time getting the play in and called, etc. So it was nowhere like the full speed style of two years ago.

Defense would show one coverage early, then shift almost everytime. Was hard to tell who was in man and who was in zone, disguised well. No WR would go in motion, so hard to pick up.

Offense did not attack middle of field during second half.

Davis was split out wide during slip screens. He is a big kid, but I think he will have a hard time blocking quick DB's in space.

Quiv had a jet sweep and caught a couple of screen passes, he has a little wiggle, but I just hate East/West plays, lot of running for only 3 yards.

Evans looked good to me, good size and speed and seemed to be in the right place. One of my guys told me that he thinks Wilson is actually a better safety than Watts at this time, so still some competition there, more to come this Fall. But, I honestly felt so much better about the DB's after the scrimmage, no busted coverages and only a couple of missed tackles. As a whole they looked more athletic, finally getting some depth there.

Right when the scrimmmage was over, the asst coaches made a bee line to the recruits. Joseph was working hard with the big boys, Chavis too.

Got to listen to Sumlin briefly as he addressed the team at the end. Heard him speak specifically about developing leaders, challenging guys to step up and be leaders. He also talked about not being a dumbass while away from the field, etc.

Players will meet with their position coaches for a one on one meeting to discuss how they did this spring, what they need to work on, and basically where they stand.

Was an awesome day, just great to see some football again. Will have more next week as I get it.

Bean

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News