ADVERTISEMENT

Avg's Post Spring Musings and Meanderings...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Yeah, I know it's been quite a while. Lot of work and other stuff, but it doesn't mean I haven't thinking about y'all. First, let me extend Blessed Best Wishes to Each and Every One of You and Your Families on this Glorious Weekend of Remembrance! Never Forget!!!

To football. I have found it very interesting the longer the time period of program to program goes between Coach Elko and his former boss runs the more "shade" is thrown. Now, Coach Elko is too classy to say things outright, but you can sense the frustration he feels with the "messes" he believes he's been left to fix. On the flip side, he also seems supremely confident he can do so because he is building from the top-down & inside-out. It's no longer a seat-of-your-pants operation.

• Roster - It appears that the staff is likely done tinkering with the roster for the most part. There are a few spots I am still curious about, which I'll detail more below, but by and large, I believe with the much improved coaching staff, this is a group we can really win a lot a games with.
  • QB - Conner has to stay healthy. Not to denigrate our backups, I just think QB15 has "it." Put him with Coach Klein and we explode.
  • RBs - Coach Klein has a way of getting the most out of the running game. Coach Cushing knows how to teach guys how to block. Need I say more?!
  • TEs/WRs - Yes, I put them together. Because, in Coach Klein's system you "earn" your catches. One play you may be running a deep corner, the next blocking for a screen. It's as simple as that.
  • O Line - I feel more confident with a competent coach. Center is a bit of a concern as is continuity and depth, especially at tackle. Put best 5 out there and let's roll!
  • D Line - Love the D Line if a couple of the guys stay more healthy. Scourton is a beast. Stewart is coming on. I think the line can be even better if some of the kids who were misused are utilized in proper roles.
  • LBs - Just need one to play with York. I do think we'll find him. Sanford was starting to shine at end of last year. We have the transfer who'll hopefully work out.
  • CBs - Can't be worse than last year?! Well, it could, but it won't!!! We do look better from what I've seen, heard and read. And that's without all hands on deck. Our coaching is better, the players are better and we're going to be better!!!
  • Safeties - This is actually the group I have the best feeling about after the Spring. We are deep and talented. I expect big, big things from these kids!!!
Glad to Be Back Gig'em!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News