ADVERTISEMENT

Any Neurologists on the board?

figmo1

Known Member
Dec 9, 2011
Sorry in advance for the extra long post...

I have been dealing with some neurological issue (I think) in my hand/arm for the last month and a half. It started around Thanksgiving week. I started experiencing pain in my wrist and forearm. As a Software Engineer I thought carpal tunnel syndrome had finally got bad enough that I need to see a Doctor. I had had pain before but usually it was associated with mouse/keyboard over use. I was off the week of Thanksgiving so it was weird that the pain was getting worse when I wasn't doing anything.

So I made an appt with the Orthopedist. Took a couple of weeks to get in but saw him in mid Dec. I had x-rays done and wrist and forearm and everything looked good. However, as I was doing the x-rays I noticed something seem a little off with my thumb. I mentioned it to the Doctor and I had definite weakness in all my fingers on that hand. He set me up with an appt for EMG/NCV test. But that is not till next week due to availability. They then called me back and set up and MRI on my neck which I had done today.

However, in the meantime my symptoms have continued to worsen. By the day after the appt with the ortho I had lost the ability to do a thumbs up. I can no longer fully open my hand. I could open my hand wide enough to shake hands until today. I also have weakness in my arm when I bend it to shave (shaving is difficult and tires my arm out). Or when I try to extend down like putting my hand in front pocket or reaching wallet out of back pocket.

This morning I lost the ability to lift my pinky finger. I can't even shake hands anymore without it getting trapped. Wrist movement seems to have significantly decreased as well. And I might add I'm limited to using 1 finger of my right hand to type this.

This has severely impacted my ability to work. And I'm really concerned that this is more then simply a pinched nerve in my neck as the Orthopedic Dr suggested. I have done a lot of searching on the internet, and I'm afraid It could be something much worse like ALS. The fact that I woke up to a useless pinky has me worried because that seems like a different nerve than the thumb. Am I stressing out too much? Does this sound like just a pinched nerve? Any other ideas what could cause this? Any recommendations on other Doctors in the Austin area? Currently going through Texas Orthopedics since I have used them before. I probably should be patient and wait till my appt next week, but it seems like I should be doing something besides just waiting and getting worse. Thanks for reading (or not) this far.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News