ADVERTISEMENT

9 Florida Players Suspended, Multiple Felony Charges

tsip despiser

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
It looks like 2 starters and 7 others. Fraudulent use of credit cards, etc.

Nine Florida football players face potential third-degree felony charges amid an alleged fraud ring, per Alachua County Courts records released Monday afternoon.

The players who face a handful of charges each are starting wide receiver Antonio Callaway; starting running back Jordan Scarlett; receiver Rick Wells; linebackers James Houston and Ventrell Miller; and defensive linemen Jordan Smith, Keivonnis Davis, and Richerd Desir-Jones, while offensive lineman Kadeem Telfort faces a whopping 30 charges.

View image on Twitter
DKlkNzXV4AAo65t.jpg

Smith, who reportedly was the ringleader of the group, faces five counts of fraud, including swindling property valued at under $20,000 and impersonation (using or possession of a person’s identification without consent), plus three additional impersonation charges.

The other seven players face only the first two counts each.

The players were already suspended for all three of Florida’s games so far this season.
According to the [URL='http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/florida-suspends-callaway-6-others-opener-vs-michigan']Associated Press
at the time of the suspension, the reasoning behind the suspensions involved “misusing school-issued funds.”

ESPN further reported the players bought items with their university student IDs at the school bookstore and then sold them for cash.

Head coach Jim McElwain was asked Monday about the felony charges.
Here’s what he had to say, via SEC Country:

On breaking announcement of felony charges for some of the suspended players: “I’ve been over at the radio station. I’m sure I will be (informed) when I get back, I guess.”

Do felony charges change things for those guys? Nods, “Darn right.”

Is this Antonio Callaway’s last strike? “You’re asking me something I don’t even know anything about. I don’t know that that’s fair.”

The team’s 2016 leading receiver has missed time before.
Callaway accounted for 721 yards and three touchdowns, along with 218 yards returning last season. In May, Callaway was cited for marijuana possession, but he was not suspended, and McElwain stated he was dealing with the situation internally, without a public announcement of discipline.

He was suspended from the team, along with former quarterback Treon Harris, in January 2016 in the wake of a sexual assault claim made against the two. He did not practice with the team that spring, but returned to classes during the summer and participated fully in fall practice.

Scarlett ran for 889 yards and six touchdowns last year and was expected to be the starting running back this season.[/URL]

Reactions: Don Draper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.