ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. How entirely predictable.

catorano

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2005
Link

Covid vaccine: First 'milestone' vaccine offers 90% protection
By James Gallagher Health and science correspondent
Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.
The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".
Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.
The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.
A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.
There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing - known as a phase 3 trial - but this is the first to show any results.
It uses a completely experimental approach - that involves injecting part of the virus's genetic code - in order to train the immune system.
Previous trials have shown the vaccine trains the body to make both antibodies - and another part of the immune system called T-cells to fight the coronavirus.
Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.
Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.
However there are logistical challenges, as the vaccine has to be kept in ultra-cold storage at below minus 80C.
There are also questions about how long immunity lasts and the companies have not presented a breakdown of the vaccine's effectiveness in different age groups.
Dr Albert Bourla, the chairman of Pfizer, said: "We are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis."
Prof Ugur Sahin, one of the founders of BioNTech, described the results as a "milestone".
The data presented is not the final analysis. It is based on the first 94 volunteers to develop Covid - the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed.
The companies say they will have enough safety data by the third week of November to take their vaccine to regulators.
Until then it is not possible for countries to begin their vaccination campaigns. The UK has already put in an order for 40 million doses, enough for 20 million people.
"This news made me smile from ear to ear," Prof Peter Horby, from the University of Oxford.
"It is a relief... there is a long long way to go before vaccines will start to make a real difference, but this feels to me like a watershed moment."

• Haha
Reactions: TP97 and aggiekhan
So we were 2 weeks ago but not anymore?
Don’t even try that sanctimonious shit with me. Of course I want a vaccine to work. I did two weeks ago, a month ago, and now. What about you? The overnight change of the narrative is predictable and disgusting. I mean, isn’t this a “Trump vaccine” that Kamala Harris said she wouldn’t trust or take? Get the **** outa here with this.

I thought Trump wasn’t doing anything to combat the Covid? Watch Biden will take all the credit for the Vaccine...

Reactions: ITS BK
Don’t even try that sanctimonious shit with me. Of course I want a vaccine to work. I did two weeks ago, a month ago, and now. What about you? The overnight change of the narrative is predictable and disgusting. I mean, isn’t this a “Trump vaccine” that Kamala Harris said she wouldn’t trust or take? Get the **** outa here with this.
I started to type this same thing, but everything Cheeky says is to get a rise. He knows exactly why the timing matters, but he’ll continue to deflect as if there’s nothing to see here.

Same will go for the statewide “openings” in January & the “boosted economies” in Northern states. Its manufactured & it’s orchestrated, and it is indeed disgusting.

Reactions: grizzlybear
Not sure anyone in politics should get credit for a vaccine. But if someone finds that important, then Trump should.

Could they have announced sooner? Why did they hold the message? Did they have an obligation to Trump to release the message before the election, if that was possible?

I started to type this same thing, but everything Cheeky says is to get a rise. He knows exactly why the timing matters, but he’ll continue to deflect as if there’s nothing to see here.

Same will go for the statewide “openings” in January & the “boosted economies” in Northern states. Its manufactured & it’s orchestrated, and it is indeed disgusting.
It also would have happened regardless of who won the election.

I read that headline this morning and had a laugh knowing this thread would already exist. In reality Pfizer said they were going to release this data in November. They have FDA timelines.

This is great news. Now we can move on to talking about how this vaccine has a tracking agent that lets the Dems know our locations.

Not sure anyone in politics should get credit for a vaccine. But if someone finds that important, then Trump should.

Could they have announced sooner? Why did they hold the message? Did they have an obligation to Trump to release the message before the election, if that was possible?

its that Trumpsaid they were this close and the media and democrats painted him as a liar who was making it up only to get votes. Yet, here we are, with a vaccine, which appears ready to go before the end of the year

Sorry...Trump has stated several times we were close. All media outlets (even Fox commentators) mocked and laughed at the idea. And no, a democrat would not have had a vaccine released any quicker with the regulations put in place by past administrations...

Reactions: darterbury
Sorry...Trump has stated several times we were close. All media outlets (even Fox commentators) mocked and laughed at the idea. And no, a democrat would not have had a vaccine released any quicker with the regulations put in place by past administrations...
So because media outlets laughed, Pfizer had an obligation to Trump to get the message out before the election? Or were they free to get the message out on their own timetable?

Reactions: DoubleJ_ag
Anyone that doesn't see the immediate transition from doubt and accusation to hope and adoration is disingenuine.

Was listening to CNN on the way in. It was laughable. The emotion in their voices. Word choice. The willful
choice to forget their position last Friday and start fresh today. HOPE! JOY! REJOICE! And we hope the President doesn't ruin this in the few weeks he has left.

So because media outlets laughed, Pfizer had an obligation to Trump to get the message out before the election? Or were they free to get the message out on their own timetable?

What changed between Friday and Today? Has little to do with Pfizer and much to do with the reporting on information that is important to the people. Forget Trump and Biden. The media plays dangerous games.

Anyone that doesn't see the immediate transition from doubt and accusation to hope and adoration is disingenuine.

Was listening to CNN on the way in. It was laughable. The emotion in their voices. Word choice. The willful
choice to forget their position last Friday and start fresh today. HOPE! JOY! REJOICE! And we hope the President doesn't ruin this in the few weeks he has left.
And if the ballot lawsuits are won and illegal ballots thrown out, the position will quickly reverse again! FKN jackasses!

I got a kick out of watching whatever network that Chuck Todd character is on look like someone stole all their Halloween candy for the whole week when it became apparent the blue wave did not appear, and that Trump might still have a chance. Then when they finally came on one day beaming like Christmas morning my wife and I looked at each other and knew Biden had the 270.

The media plays dangerous games.
This

Look at the effort of mainstream and social media & how their narratives influence the people. It’s dangerous, and it’s been getting worse & worse over the last 25 years.

Wake up.

I read that headline this morning and had a laugh knowing this thread would already exist. In reality Pfizer said they were going to release this data in November. They have FDA timelines.

This is great news. Now we can move on to talking about how this vaccine has a tracking agent that lets the Dems know our locations.

Just like we knew the positive news would show up once election was over.

This

Look at the effort of mainstream and social media & how their narratives influence the people. It’s dangerous, and it’s been getting worse & worse over the last 25 years.

Wake up.

This has been insane to watch unfold. How well the narratives are set and how often the double standards are ignored (Biden crowd good, Notre Dame students bad; DeSantis awful, Cuomo good).

Reactions: 2th_doc

Trump is still in office btw. So go trump!

since he said it would disappear without any fatalities, i’d say he went bankrupt.

again.

Or when Biden called him racist for a China travel bad to slow the spread?
You know, just because Trump says something a thousand times does not make it true. In fact, it is almost sure to be a lie.

Fake news reply coming in 3, 2, 1...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT