ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Talking Points

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Today, I'm going to do something a little different. I'm going to put on the hat of the A&M recruiting coordinator and assemble my personal 2016 recruiting class. Will it come out like this? Hell no, for a ton of reasons -- as in, I'm counting all commitments to stick; I'm not worrying about mid-termers and keeping things at a base 25 (note: ok, 26). And, most importantly, since I'm choosing guys I think are realistic, we're going to just assume they commit. It is, after all, an exercise in imagination -- but could give you an idea of the shape of the class and some of the guys the Aggies could pursue and why.

Quarterback (2)
Selections: Jalen Hurts, Channelview and Dillon Sterling-Cole, Houston Westfield
Why: A&M only has a handful of offers out at quarterback, and bluntly, these guys are the only two that currently seem feasible. The rest are out of state or will want to progress faster than an A&M team with Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray will likely allow. These guys, with either ties to the program or long-standing relationships with coaches, might be more patient. Hurts is the best QB in the state for A&M this year (he could be the best, period, but Texas fans will argue for Shane Buchele): He's got good size, a strong arm, nice touch, runs an offense with a number of similarities and has the athleticism to make plays with his feet. Cole is more of a project, but has a huge upside and is a legacy. Neither is likely afraid of competition.

Running back (2)
Selections: Devwah Whaley, Beaumont Central and Trayveon Williams, C.E. King
Why: This could end up being the most accurate pair of selections at the end of the day as both of these guys are currently very big on A&M. Both have pretty good size, are one-cut runners and can catch the football. A&M will need a pair of replacements for Tra Carson and Brandon Williams, and getting two of the most sought-after in-state guys would be a nice way to do it.

Wide receiver (3)
Selections: Tyrie Cleveland, Westfield (committed); N'Keal Harry, Chandler (Ariz).; Tren'Davian Dickson, Navasota
Why: Cleveland's a burner (sub-4.4 40) with nice size at 6'3", 180; Harry is more physically developed at 6'3", 210 and is already a matchup nightmare. The Aggies sit in his top 3 right now, so the Arizona pipeline could well stay open. Dickson catches everything and has put up incredible numbers in high school. He just makes plays.

Tight end (1)
Selection: Zarrian Holcombe, Humble (committed)
Why: He's got the tall frame with long arms the Aggies are looking for, so this was a no-brainer. They could also push for J.C. Chalk of Argyle, who's committed to Clemson, but let's see how the numbers work.

Offensive tackle (2)
Selections: Greg Little, Allen (committed); Jean DeLance, North Mesquite
Why: Again, the Aggies stay in-state. Little's the best in the state, and the Aggies have to get him in to meet with Dave Christensen and keep on him. DeLance is open after dumping OU, and it looks like an A&M-Texas battle. He's got many of the same characteristics as Little in terms of height, frame and arm length, he's just not as polished.

Interior offensive line (2)
Selections: Patrick Hudson, Silsbee (Baylor commit), Chris Owens, Arlington Lamar
Why: Hudson is listed by Rivals as a guard, so the heck with it. A&M needs a physical presence on the interior to help rebuild depth and, if he doesn't have the footspeed for right tackle, he could certainly crush people at either guard position. Owens is the Aggies' only other offer to a guard, period.

Defensive end (2)
Selections: Isaiah Chambers, Houston MacArthur; Justin Madubuike, McKinney North
Why: The Aggies don't have many offers at DE out, but these guys are the two in-state options. Both are guys who can put on more size, but are already able to hold up at the line of scrimmage. If you can't get one of them, then the next option is Cecil Stallings from Atlanta (the big one), who has A&M in his top 3.

Defensive tackle (2)
Selections: Chris Daniels, Euless Trinity; Kendell Jones, Killeen Shoemaker
Why: One has the potential to be bigtime, the other's already huge. Daniels has a great frame and good speed for an interior lineman; Jones is up to 364 pounds and it ain't baby fat. Both are in great demand, and the Aggies have a lot of work to do with Jones, but Daniels was very impressed with his trip to Aggieland a few weeks back.

Linebacker (4)
Selections: Keion Joyner, Havelock (N.C.); Donatvious Jackson, Alief Elsik; Jeffery McCullough, Aldine Davis; Sewo Olonilua, Kingwood (committed to TCU)
Why: Can the Aggies really pull Joyner, a 5-star from ACC country? The answer appears to be yes, as he's got the Aggies in his final four and they're working him hard. He would give them an explosive outside linebacker with the size to play from day one. Jackson is a big guy who fits well at MIKE, while McCullough and Olonilua are speedsters who could still add size. Get this haul and A&M's in serious business. It won't be easy, but it's possible.

Safety (2)
Selections: Brandon Jones, Nacogdoches; Deontay Anderson, Manvel
Why: They're two of the top safeties in America, with range, great ball skills and a willingness to hit. Why not Eric Monroe? Stay tuned, please.

Cornerback (3)
Selections: Travon Fuller, Athens (committed); Byron Murphy, Scottsdale (Ariz.); Eric Monroe, Galena Park Northshore
Why: Fuller is a baller and a great first addition to the class. Murphy is a top 5 corner in the nation and means business about A&M -- having Kyle Allen and Christian Kirk around helps, and they're in his final handful. Monroe has the athleticism to play corner, so it's very possible A&M uses him here instead of safety. Get these guys and be happy, very happy.

PK (1)
Selection: Braden Mann, Cy-Fair (committed)
Why: Because the Aggies will need a kicker and I can't count.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News