ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wednesday Practice Notes

-Sellers-

Feb 8, 2009
We got our first short session of the camp, kicked out after probably about 15-20 minutes but the only thing worked on in that timeframe was special teams.

After stretching the defensive linemen went to a drill station I had not seen out here before but it is one that makes sense. They were practicing blocking field goals. They would simulate a snap and the defensive lineman would engage the offensive lineman and the goal was to time your jump to the kick. The "kickers" were using volleyballs and trying to shoot them just over the line to simulate a low kick.

While they were doing that most of the linebackers and defensive backs were working on another drill I had not seen but again, makes sense. They were simulating the outside rush on punts, where the guys on the end of the line worked on taking the right angle to fly in and block a punt. They had a big landing mat where the punter would be so the guys could fly in and lay out and land on it.

The QBs and WRs did their own thing, just doing footwork and basic position drills. (Yes Christian Kirk was back out there after Jake Spavital confirmed after practice yesterday he missed due to strep throat)

The offensive linemen were running field goal drills, first and second team. Taylor Bertolet kicked for the 1st team and freshman Daniel LaCamera kicked for the second team. There was no real rush from the defensive side of the ball, it was more about coming in from the sideline in a short period of time and getting set and the kick away in a certain time period. Both kickers connected on all of their kicks from the mid-20 yard range, back to the mid-40s range (they kicked about 4 each). At the end they simulated setting up for a return on a short field goal. The two players back for the Aggies to return in those situations were Justin Evans and Christian Kirk.

After that, just when they split into offense and defense and were about to get to the good part of practice....it was over.

I did get some photos today, not nearly as many as Monday but I will work on those now while we wait for post-practice interviews from special teams coach Jeff Banks and offensive line/ run game coordinator Dave Christensen.

Reactions: SECAG95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News