ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE 12/17/17 - Kenneth Meyer heart surgery fundraiser

reh12

Known Member
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
Houston -> Austin -> Overton, Tx
UPDATE 12/17/17 - PLEASE READ!!
Misty wanted to write you guys a message. The following is all from her.

Hello Aggie Family!!!
My name is Misty Meyer, my brother-in-law is a fellow Aggie, and the most amazing and selfless person I know. I wanted to take a minute to let each and every one of you know how much it means to our family that you guys at Aggie Yell care so much about our family! From the gofundme donations, to the handwritten letters (which I will write back to soon, I promise), to the prayers and well wishes.... I just can’t tell you enough how much we appreciate you guys.
Here’s a quick recap about our family, we have 6 amazing children, ranging from 16 to 4... (5 girls and a boy) and we were highschool sweethearts. 9 months After our baby, (and only boy) spent 97 days in the NICU my husband was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He worked his last day in July of 2016. He was a very successful Operations Manager for a Shingle Distribution Center. He was the sole provider for our large family. Once the cardiologist took him off work we spent the next 3 Months basically living in the hospital, and since he was no longer working, he no longer had health insurance after the Cobra insurance ran its course. In November Kenneth had his first surgery, they put in a Defibrillator, that way if his heart stopped suddenly (which is what his disease causes.. sudden death syndrome) the machine would start it back up long enough for me to get him to the hospital. When we went in for the check up his heart thickness had doubled in size, so we had open heart surgery the next day. That was in January. They shaved the heart down and replaced a valve with cow tissue. The next surgery was adding a pace-maker. This was to regulate the Arrhythmia. The next surgery was removing all of Kenneths teeth (2 months ago) because the blood flow was not sufficient to get the blood to his teeth and they started crumbling and falling out, so the cardiologist had them pulled because of the risk of infection with a bad heart. We are currently waiting for a heart transplant. It could be tomorrow, or it could be 5 years when we get the call. We are scheduled for another surgery to “band-aid” the heart by shaving again and replacing valves if necessary next month. With all of this and $1200 a month in prescriptions (with discount cards and help from the manufacturers of the meds) + paying for doctor appointments and anything else that may come up, we went through his 401K which took a decade to grow, + savings, and we sold all of our furniture, our house, and anything else we didn’t “need” to survive and we still aren’t even close. The hospital has been amazing and they let me take payments in every time i get them. So anytime anyone puts a donation in the go fund me I take it strait to the doctors office to put into our account. This month, being Christmas has been the hardest on me. Every penny I make with my little cleaning company goes to prescription and our other necessary bills. My kids have seen more loss and traumatic experiences than I would ever wish on a child, but they continue to smile every day, they Just tend to love on Daddy a little more these days.
Anyhow, I’m rambling on. I wanted to say thank you again to everyone on here. We need the prayers and they are so appreciated. I want you to know that the money you’ve sent has truly been a blessing to our family. It’s truly made me believe again and know that miracles do happen. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart. I hope you all have the most blessed Christmas ever and may you all have the Happiest New Year for 2018.
Gig ‘Em Ags!!!!
Much love,
Misty Meyer
Sent from my iPhone

17428_1_edit_1513527257880_1.jpeg

Update 12/8/17

I forgot to mention that he had to have ALL of his teeth pulled because, as the doctor explained, people with HCM apparently don't get good blood supply to the head/mouth/teeth.

All of this makes me think back a couple of years when he fell off of a tractor-trailer while at work. He said he slipped, but I'm thinking he may have passed out, which caused his fall. He continued to work the rest of the day. His job did nothing but make him work. He had a concussion but we could not, whatsoever, get him to go to the hospital -- even though his head was hurting really bad and he was vomiting all night. Misty and I stayed up all night to make sure he kept breathing. I told her it was a very dangerous situation. He's very hard headed and doesnt like doctors. I almost -- and should have -- called EMS.

OP 12/3/17
Hi, Aggie family. I know it's a bad time of the year for these things, but health conditions don't have a schedule.

As most of you may remember from last year, my brother Kenneth has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and will eventually have to have a heart transplant. As for now, his doctor is doing whatever he possibly can to extend his life until a transplant becomes available. I do not know where he is on the heart transplant registry.

Kenneth has to have another open-heart surgery, but in today's greedy ass economy, the doctors and hospitals won't perform a life-saving procedure until the money is paid up front -- or at least a certain percentage, I guess. I think it's a horrible way to (not) treat people. It really makes a sad and stressful situation much worse -- especially for a cardiac patient.

So, once again, I am asking on behalf of myself and Kenneth, his wife Misty, and their 6 kids (my God-children) for any donations to help with the medical bills that have accrued or money that is needed in order to get the health care he needs to save his life. Also, any other type of help would be welcomed. I know last time a couple of you bought a ton of groceries for their family (I won't divulge who w/o permission).

Also, Misty would like to know if it would be ok with those of you who send donations and notes and/or letters to give them a little inspiration -- if she can write you back to say how thankful they are and maybe send a pic of the family. If not, she will send everything to me so I can post it on AggieYell for all to see. On that same note, she also wanted me to ask if she could get the names and addresses of those of you who donate on the GoFundMe webpage. She doesn't care how much your donation is she is just overwhelmed with joy and faith that all she wants to do is to write a small 'thank you' to everyone. That, of course, is at each of your own discretion.

If you can help in any way, please see below:
1) You can send donations to my physical address in care of Kenneth and Misty Meyer.
Ronnie E Howell
C/O Kenneth and Misty Meyer
411 N. Rusk St.
Overton, Tx 75684
2) You can donate by way of PayPal: my PayPal email is ronnie.howell@gmail.com
3) You can choose to use Kenneth's GoFundMe page (which takes roughly 8% of the donation)
4) If you don't have money, please help in another way. You can choose how you want to help. A couple of Ags have talked about grocery shopping. Maybe if you have anything of value that you don't want or need anymore that Misty can sell. She also has a house cleaning business that she will basically use as a raffle or "money earned."
5) Anything you guys can think of that could help in any way. Also, anything sent to me for them is strictly private. I DO NOT open any mail or other such items that are meant for them.

Thanks, Ags,
Ronnie E Howell

ronnie.howell@gmail.com

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News