ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday practice notes

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
So we got another look at the team today and this time, I spent most of practice watching the defense.
First off, we got special teams drills. These weren't drills I've seen before. There was work on running back and positioning to block. And if you weren't a lineman or a quarterback, you were in the drill. Nobody was exempt.
Same with a football protection drill. Offensive players have the ball and two defenders, one on each side, are swiping at it. Everyone was in on that, too, including quarterbacks and defensive linemen.

Again, there was a lot of instruction going on. I was watching the safeties, in particular, work with Ish Aristide on tackling. Not how to tackle, but where to tackle. It was pretty interesting to listen to.

This was my first time getting a look at Nic Scourton and Holy Cow. This guy is ripped. He looks like a defensive tackle, but his first step is incredibly explosive. Shemar Stewart also looks like he's been working hard in the weight room. He was never small, but he looks like a beast now.

I liked what I saw from DJ Hicks in a very small sample size. His body has changed a little bit, but his power is what caught me. He hit a tackling dummy so hard this afternoon that he flipped it.

The size of the new defensive backs compared to the ones that came in under Jimbo is night and day. These guys are Elko prototypes. They're huge. Even freshman safeties Myles Davis and Jordan Pride are big enough that they stand out. I didn't see all the corners, but I did see Will Lee, Donovan Saunders and BJ Mayes, and all those guys are big. Lee and Saunders, in particular, are imposing. Safety Marcus Ratcliffe looks like he could be a small forward, and I mean that in a good way -- long arms and really good agility.

With Bryce Foster not around, a lot of interior linemen are getting looks at center. Mark Nabou, TJ Shanahan and transfer Dorian Hinton all worked there today.

On special teams, the three running backs -- Rueben Owens, LeVeon Moss and Amari Daniels -- worked on fielding kickoffs. A bunch of receivers -- Micah Tease, Jabre Barber, Noah Thomas, Cyrus Allen and Izaiah Williams were getting work returning punts.

There was an 82 working with the tight ends today, but there is no 82 on the roster. I'm pretty sure Garrett Miller changed numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News