Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Latest on the QB situation

As coach Mike Elko said yesterday, QB Conner Weigman is still not 100% but is pretty close. They're going to limit his running this spring, but he'll be out there and that's the critical part. They want to get all three quarterbacks as much as exposure to the new scheme, as you'd expect.
While Weigman is QB1, Collin Klein and Elko want to see what Jaylen Henderson and Marcel Reed can do up close. That may be the more interesting competition this spring. Henderson is ahead, but Reed's throwing arm has their attention. The battle between those two may be who grasps the offense fastest.
Short version: Weigman's the starter barring injury, but the staff is very thankful that they have two guys who have real game experience in the wings.

The makeup of the team as we enter the spring
Keep in mind that they are still missing some guys who will be in this summer.

QB: Weigman, Henderson, Reed
RB: Le'Veon Moss, Rueben Owens, Amari Daniels, EJ Smith
TE: Donovan Green (limited), Theo Ohrstrom, Tre Watson, Garrett Miller, Jayden Platt
WR: Moose Muhammad, Noah Thomas, Micah Tease, Jahdae Walker, Izaiah Williams, Jabre Barber, Cyrus Allen, Wesley Watson (PWO)
OL: Trey Zuhn (OT), Dametrious Crownover (OT), Deuce Fatheree (OT), Blake Ivy (OT), Ashton Funk (OT), Mark Nabou (G/C), Kam Dewberry (G; limited), TJ Shanahan (G), Aki Ogunbiyi (G; limited), Ar'maj Reed-Adams (OG), Derrick Perkins (OT), Chase Bisontis (G/T), Hunter Erb (G/T), Dorian Hinton (G), Bryce Foster (C; not with the team in the spring), Colton Thomasson (OT)

DL: Nic Scourton (DE), Jadon Scarlett (DE), Cashius Howell (DE), DJ Hicks (DT), Gabe Dindy (DT), Rylan Kennedy (DE), Shemar Stewart (DE), Shemar Turner (DE/DT; limited), Samu Taumanupepe (DT), Kendall Jackson (DE), Enai White (DE; limited); Malick Sylla (DE); Albert Regis (DT); Solomon Williams (DE); Rodas Johnson (DT)
LB: Taurean York; Martrell Harris; Alex Howard; Scooby Williams; Tristan Jernigan; Jordan Lockhart; Chantz Johnson; Daymion Sanford
DB: Will Lee (CB); Bryce Anderson (S/Nickel); Jordan Kerr (S/Nickel); Donovan Saunders (CB); Tyreek Chappell (CB); Jaydon Thomas (CB); Bravion Rogers (CB); BJ Mayes (CB); Bobby Taylor (CB/S); Trey Jones (S/Nickel); Jaydon Hill (CB/Nickel); Dezz Ricks (CB); Marcus Ratcliffe (S); Jordan Pride (S); Myles Davis (S); Dalton Brooks (S/Nickel)

P/K: Randy Bond; Ethan Moczulski; Keegan Andrews; Tyler White

Jackson, Smith likely got a boost from pro day

In my opinion, McKinnley Jackson and Ainias Smith both had really good pro days. Judging from what I've heard, I'm not alone in that assessment.
Talking to one scout before the event started, he wasn't really big on Jackson. He thought he'd been better in 2022 than 2023 (which is hard to argue; he was amazing when he came back), but I argued that he'd taken the double teams that allowed Walter Nolen to put up some big numbers (and wow, he had nothing good to say on Nolen).
After pro day, he said he was amongst the converted, that he'd been impressed by Jackson's agility and burst and he'd suggest his team have Jackson come in for a Top 30 visit. Like I said Tuesday, there are only two really big DTs in the draft, and Jackson's one of them. I don't think he's going to jump up into the top couple of rounds, but I think he'll get looks in the 3rd round and probably comes off the board no later than the 4th.

Smith still isn't 100%, but he ran a 4.48 40 and that's good enough. What really helped him was the shuttle (5-10-5) and the 3-cone drill, where he showed his agility is fully back. The Eagles are having him in for a visit (former A&M receivers coach Aaron Moorehead REALLY likes him), and I expect Miami and the Texans to be in on that as well. Texans GM Nic Caserio was at Pro Day, and he was closing watching Smith, Jackson and Edgerrin Cooper.

As for Cooper, first picks at a position are usually a matter of a team's taste, but I think the majority of teams now have Cooper at LB1. I don't know if the Texans would end up taking him because they need a MIKE and that's not his bag, but the Steelers, Cowboys and Red..whoever the hell they are all interested. Washington has the 35th pick overall, and that may be about the area people start looking at him. A 4.46 in the 40 has him on everyone's radar.

The weekend visitor list
Is here, and it is substantial.

Hoops, football both expected to be active in the portal

Buzz Williams wouldn't talk about it yesterday, but A&M has already started to put feelers out with some 3-point shooters and bigs. And that means there will be some attrition, because they'd be at 13 scholarship players otherwise.
The football staff is also talking about being aggressive in the portal, but exactly where they're going to be aggressive depends on the spring. I think they could be looking closely at both lines and wide receiver, but again, spring will be a big tryout for the current team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News