Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Seriously, what else could happen?

So the rumors you heard about a flu breakout amongst the team?
100% true. Got that verified this morning. At least a dozen players, including QB Conner Weigman, have been affected. Weigman has supposedly been cleared to go, though -- but his practice time this week has been seriously limited. So if you see guys who are not out there you would normally expect to, don't snap to the conclusion they're suspended. It's a lot more likely they're sick.

Stewart does a 180

About six weeks ago, it looked really likely that Evan Stewart was on his way out the door at the end of the season. A lot of other programs were anticipating it, in fact. But from what I've been hearing lately, the odds of that have dropped dramatically. Instead, Stewart has taken a leadership role with the freshmen in recent weeks and his attitude has changed entirely.

Stewart, it seems, had a number of issues. He wanted more catches and he wanted Conner Weigman starting at quarterback, but those were secondary. He wanted all the freshmen to get on board and was frustrated that some weren't and hadn't been held accountable.

The big change seems to have come after his suspension for the Miami game, when a senior captain -- I think it's Ainias Smith -- pulled him aside and said the receiver room was going to be his next year and he needed to set the example in all ways. Apparently the message really hit home.

There are at least a couple of players who are almost certainly gone after this year, and you don't to be a rocket scientist to figure out who they are. But Stewart isn't one of them anymore. In fact, he's gotten everything he was looking for: more catches, Weigman at QB and now, accountability.

Coley making a difference

There's ongoing frustration, and understandably so, about how some of the veteran receivers can't get separation and don't make much of an impact, leaving it up to Stewart and Moose Muhammad to carry the load. Those are valid points. But think about this one -- outside of Moose's huge drop against Arkansas, can you think of very many?
Last year, there were drops all over the place. The wideouts, even Ainias, had major league trouble holding onto the football. This year, drops have been more than halved. Looking at PFF's data, they have a total of 11 drops by the wideouts (a number I'm going to dispute as too low). But last year, they had at least two games where they had 7 or more. Part of it is that Haynes King, Max Johnson and Conner Weigman have all proven to be more accurate than Zach Calzada, even though they're under a lot more pressure, but James Coley has done a better job with the receivers. There can still be a lot of improvement, but in this one area, they're much better than they were in 2021.

Weigman brings a boost to freshmen spirits

I commented last week about the moxie Conner Weigman has shown on the football field and apparently I'm far from the only one to see it. I've heard that Weigman's move to the top of the depth chart has been a bit of a pick-me-up for a lot of the 2022 class. They like and respect King and Johnson, but many came to A&M to play with Weigman. He brings an extra level of intensity and drive that seems to serve as a motivator for other players as well. He's not about anything but winning.

Injuries being held close to the vest

No real update here, as there has been about zero discussion. It may well be because they don't even know who's playing thanks to the flu. I do expect Amari Daniels and Yulkeith Brown to be back tomorrow, and Brown might get playing time. Le'Veon Moss has jumped both Daniels and LJ Johnson and I've heard he's been extremely impressive in practice.

Another strong visitor list, including a repeat visit from an Arkansas commit (Courtney)

Katy Paetown 5-star DE and A&M commit David Hicks

Denton Ryan 5-star LB and A&M commit Anthony Hill

Austin Westlake 5-star OL and A&M TJ Shanahan

La Grange 4-star CB and A&M commit Bravion Rogers

Tulsa, Okla. 4-star WR and Arkansas commit Micah Tease

Converse Judson 4-star DE Johnny Bowens (official)

Lehi, Utah, 4-star LB Tausili Akana (official)

New Orleans De La Salle 4-star OL Caden Jones

Katy Taylor 2024 DL Ashton Coker

Tyler 2024 4-star RB Derrick McFall

Lake Cormant, Miss., 2024 4-star DL Kamarion Franklin

Lake Cormant, Miss., 2025 ATH Jarcoby Hopson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News