TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

Injury update

DT McKinnley Jackson and CB Jaylon Jones will both return and both could start. LB Andre White was deemed "day-to-day" earlier this week and, while A&M is pretty tight-lipped about injuries, I think he'll play. Blake Smith remains a question mark. Bryce Foster, Myles Jones, Max Wright, Gabe Dindy and Adarious Jones are all out. Jones has a real problem: when he does get healthy, I don't know how he gets any snaps with the talent ahead of him.
The big question is Foster. From what I've heard, there's hope he could play in the next couple of weeks, with Arkansas seeming plausible. Of course, there's a question of rebuilding physical strength, and hopefully he's at the point where he can really do that.

Mind games

Not surprisingly, a lot of A&M's film work this week has had to do with handling Appalachian State's RPOs on offense and their blitz packages on defense. They're a veteran team on both sides of the ball and like to sucker opposing offenses into making mistakes. The key for the defense will be the proverbial "eye discipline" and staying home when App State shows the play action look. Know your assignments, don't be baited and stay in your lanes.

On defense, the Mountaineers will blitz from everywhere. Linebackers, safeties, corners, you name it - sometimes at the same time. That's going to test the blitz pickups of the tight ends and running backs; Haynes King will have to get the ball out fast and the wideouts will have to recognize that they'll have to go to their hot routes quickly.

Physically, A&M has a huge advantage. They're much more talented. So App State will gamble in an effort to make big plays.

Come on back too, ya hear?

The Aggies already got one de-commit back in La Grange CB Bravion Rogers. They may get another, in Converse Judson's Johnny Bowens. When he decommitted, all things seemed to point to him going to Oregon, but that cooled rapidly. 49-3 last weekend probably didn't help their cause much either, while the Aggies tossed a shutout and used a ton of true freshmen defensive ends. For a guy who has as much talent as Bowens, it's kind of weird not to hear any other teams involved in his recruitment, so I think there's a pretty good chance he ends up back at A&M soon. I think that happens eventually anyway, but it could be sooner as opposed to later.

Miami visitor list starting to take shape

And it's going to be absolutely sick.
For one thing, A&M commit and 5-star LB Anthony Hill will make his official visit next weekend. He'll be there to work on a massive visitor list. So far, that includes:
Denton Guyer S and Notre Dame commit Peyton Bowen
Ft. Lauderdale Stranahan 5-star WR Hykeem Williams
San Diego Lincoln 4-star LB and UCLA commit Roderick Robinson
Longview 4-star WR Jalen Hale
It's going to get a lot, LOT longer.

Aggies not done yet with guys committed to other programs

There were several players I felt good about earlier in the cycle when it came to A&M who committed elsewhere. That doesn't mean the interest from A&M's side has ebbed, and it may still be mutual.
The obvious one is Bowen, who has visited A&M multiple times since being offered and has become the top safety on the board for the Aggies. They have done an excellent job making up ground and, right now (in my opinion), Notre Dame is holding on by their fingernails. Bowen isn't making repeated trips to College Station to go to Freebirds or watch a good game.
Another guy to watch is 4-star CB and Texas commit Malik Muhammad. Right now, Alabama is all up in his business and that's the one Texas is worried about (with reason), but A&M is still in contact frequently. The Aggies expect to get him on campus at least once more, likely for an official visit, before early signing.
Virtually everyone else has given up on RB Rueben Owens, but the Aggie are still the team remaining in constant contact with the Louisville commit. If they can get him to visit, then things could get very interesting.
And, of course, Alabaster, Ala. CB Tony Mitchell remains a target. This may be the toughie of the group because of his proximity to Tuscaloosa, but A&M is still pushing him.

Abbreviated visitor's list for Saturday

Jasper 2024 LB Tyanthony Smith
The Woodlands 2024 OL Ryan Hughes
Richmond, Va. 3-star LB and UNC commit Kaveion Keys
Stafford 2024 RB Jamal Wiley
Austin Vandergrift 2024 OL Blake Frazier

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series