TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car and life and insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362
Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

Latest on the recruiting front

Denton Ryan 5-star LB Anthony Hill was at A&M last weekend for the spring game and he got the treatment you'd expect for the nation's top linebacker -- the red carpet treatment. Hill is down to 6 teams and is visiting Miami this weekend, but A&M folks feel confident that they are ahead by a good bit for him right now.

The other linebacker A&M is in on at this point is Marlin's Derion Guilette. The extremely fast Guilette is being targeted by Alabama and the Tide really want him, so this could end up being a two-horse race between the Aggies and Alabama.

As the Aggies start to target receivers in this class, it's possible they don't even grab an in-state receiver this time around. If they're looking to take four, they could be positioned to do so. Fort Lauderdale Stranahan 4-star Hykeem Williams visited last weekend and raved about the trip. He will return for an official, as he also checks out Pitt (this weekend), Alabama and Georgia.
A&M is in the mix for its third Miami Gulliver Prep player in three years as they're in on the nation's #43 player overall, Jalen Brown. Brown has the Aggies in his final four, and this could be a race between the Aggies and Miami.
Thomasville, Ga. 4-star Adam Hopkins may be the first to pull the trigger. He's down to A&M and FSU and the sentiment around both programs is the Aggies are ahead at this point. It's just a matter of when Hopkins wants to make his move.
If A&M is going to get an in-state receiver, De Soto's Johntay Cook may be the guy. As you've read in Courtney's update, he enjoyed his trip to Aggieland last weekend immensely. Texas is pulling out all the stops to get him, so this looks like an in-state fight. But I get the sense Texas has lost momentum with him and the Aggies now have it. But I also think he's not going to make a decision anytime soon.
The Aggies made a late offer this week to Rockwall's Noble Johnson, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound 4-star wideout. He's got a long list of suitors, so it'll be interesting to see if the Aggies can make some quick progress with him.

A&M has 4-star OL Colton Thomasson firmly committed, so they have a tackle in the pipeline. But they could definitely use more, and much of their progress right now is with interior linemen. I talked to Connor Stroh a good bit last Sunday and, while he's not tipping his hand, the fact that he grew up in a Maroon household (mom and dad, aunt and uncle) certainly makes a difference for him. FSU wants him and Texas has been on him for a long time, but the Aggies went right up to the top of the list for him. He will make his decision in early summer after taking his officials, but I think A&M is already the prohibitive favorite. I know Stroh is listed as a tackle, but after seeing him dominate normal ends and struggle with speed rushers, I'm a little more of a fan of his at guard.
The Aggies are in the list of finalists for Odessa Permian's 4-star Harris Sewell, and this one seems to have a strong A&M-Texas vibe to it.
One player who surprised me with his interest in the Aggies was 5-star TJ Shanahan. I knew A&M was a factor, but he indicated they're more than just a player, they're a real contender to get him. He loves College Station and Steve Addazio has made him a priority since he arrived. His cousin also played for Addazio at Florida and raved about him, so that helps too. I've heard from a few people close to Austin Westlake that they believe Shanahan will state in-state, and will go to A&M. One school I wouldn't count out, though, is Texas Tech. He's got some family ties there and Joey McGuire will definitely do everything in his power to land a player of Shanahan's caliber.

Would the Aggies take five corners? Why, yes. Yes, they would.
And you would too, if they were four 4-stars and 5-star Javien Toviano.
Here's the situation: The Aggies already have Bravion Rogers and Jaydon Thomas committed. They lead for 4-star Tony Mitchell of Alabaster, Ala., and now Dallas South Oak Cliff's Malik Muhammad. And Toviano sure has warmed to the Aggies of late.
So why would they take five after landing Denver Harris, Smoke Bouie, Bobby Taylor and Marquis Groves-Killebrew in the last class? A couple of simple reasons: you can never have enough quality and the need for versatility.
The Aggies don't just need corners; they need nickels and safeties, and this is not a good year at safety. The Aggies lose Demani Richardson after this season and, quite possibly, Antonio Johnson as well. While they have Jardin Gilbert, Jacoby Mathews and Jarred Kerr back there, they're going to need more bodies. Jaylon Jones and Bobby Taylor both are big enough and play a physical enough game to fill the bill, but that's hypothetical. The point is this: DJ Durkin wants versatility in his defensive backfield. When you go out and get fast and physical corners, you can have that.

Position battles after spring ball
Quarterback: Haynes King and Max Johnson. This is about even. King was the better quarterback in the first two scrimmages, but a lot of you soured on him after the spring game. Johnson brings experience and had a little bit better showing. The national media is hyping Conner Weigman already, but the odds on that aren't strong.
Backup running back: Amari Daniels is now ahead of LJ Johnson, if for no other reason that he was on the field and produced.
Left guard: Blake Trainor yielded the starting job to Jordan Moko when he got hurt and hasn't gotten it back. But this race is also not over and will continue into the fall.
Tight end: This could go in many different directions. Max Wright is limited athletically compared to some of the younger players and Blake Smith looked better in the spring game.
Backup defensive end: Yes, backup. The starters are Tunmise Adeleye and Fadil Diggs, barring injury or a massive flop in fall practice. There will be a ton of contenders here.
Cornerback: Myles Jones and Tyreek Chappell would likely start if healthy and the season started tomorrow, but that's in pencil and a long way from ink. There are a lot of ways this could go and nothing, at all, is certain.

(COURTNEY'S TIDBITS FOLLOW)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News