ADVERTISEMENT

The thread where we shall discuss the LSU job

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
And why I don't think Jimbo will be their next coach.
When Jimbo got his raise and extension, like many of you, I was kind of confused by the timing and reasoning. Then a couple of people who are in positions to know things informed me that I should use my head for more than a place to grow increasingly white hair.
It didn't take long to figure out the meaning: Scott Woodward would be on the prowl.
Now, let's flash back to about this time in 2017: I posted, in Tidbits, that A&M had already decided that Kevin Sumlin was toast and they'd be going after Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jimbo, Dabo Swinney and James Franklin. They'd thrown an ungodly amount of money at them and make them say no.

Many of you laughed. Franklin got a raise and extension the next week. The laughter kind of subsided. But within the next couple of weeks, it became clear that Woodward had already talked to Jimbo about the A&M job before the season had even kicked off. After 45-44, A&M got REAL serious. I was still skeptical at the time, but history has proven those who said they were already on the Jimbo hunt have been proven right. By early November at the latest, the Aggies knew who their guy was and essentially had him. Woodward struck first and smartly.

Now, back to this summer. The timefame looks almost identical. Woodward has had issues professional and personal with Ed Orgeron and is ready to make a move.
From what I've been told, he did make the call to Jimbo and Jimbo said no. The pay raise and extension with A&M was put together quickly and with limited difficulty on either side. People have also told me Jimbo is very happy in College Station and has no desire to leave.

Now, let's say you don't buy that (though you probably should). Here's a few other reasons.
Courtney Fisher, his wife, loves College Station.
A&M has better facilities.
A&M has a better team and a better pipeline at this point.
A&M has better resources and won't be paying out a considerable buyout.
A&M isn't under an NCAA investigation (or worse, a federal investigation).

So where does LSU turn? I would say look at Mel Tucker at Michigan State. Tucker worked for Nick Saban and Saban recommended him STRONGLY for the Michigan State job -- for one reason, his ability to recruit the Southeast. Tucker has done a great job with Sparty in a short period of time -- and, oh by the way, he worked at LSU under Saban. And guess who else was in Baton Rouge at the same time?

Scott Woodward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News