ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to play golf (suggs/recs)

boone8466

Known Member
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2015
College Station
I played a lot of (very) bad golf around 25 years ago. I had a cheap set of clubs and a few lessons. Had a lot of fun though. Haven't really played since my oldest was born.

Kids are all in college now and my wife just mentioned that golf might be something we both could do together. Never mind that I tried to get her to play numerous times in the past. Now that it's her idea, we're moving forward.

Where would you guys recommend going to get a good set of beginner clubs for both of us? Don't want to break the bank on day one, but we want someplace that can recommend clubs/equipment that will work for us without feeling like we're getting hosed by our ignorance. We live in B/CS. We make it into Austin and Houston regularly. 2 of my daughters are at UNT so we get to Dallas a few times per year.

I remember Golfsmith back in the day, but I know they went out of business. Seems like going to the pro shop at the local country club will give you a very narrow range of choices and mostly higher end clubs. Or am I wrong about this?

TIA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News