ADVERTISEMENT

So here's what I know

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For one thing, this is shocking. The trustees and AD kept this one under wraps in a big way.
On Monday, I talked to someone very close to the situation. I was told then that there was massive frustration with A&M's situation, that the program was essentially spinning its wheels in spite of great recruiting success. It was made clear that Jimbo was deemed responsible, as you'd expect. But I was also told that he'd get the rest of the season to make a case for his retention.
That was before Thursday's board meeting. The athletic department went to the board with the recommendation to make a change, and the board decided to move sooner as opposed to later. Losing to Lane Kiffin was just too much. Losing to Alabama is one thing; getting blasted by Miami (who benched the QB who annihilated them), losing to Tennessee and finally to Kiffin was the last straw.
The buyout money is there, as I've told you more than once. While nobody has chipped in for a new coach fund yet, apparently they have enough IOUs to go, and likely go big (again). I would estimate, maybe conservatively, that this is going to cost more than $150 million all-in.
I'll take whatever questions you have but keep in mind that I'm working on 3 hours sleep and am a little punchy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News