ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for optimism/concern on the eve of camp...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Not too far away Ags, and I, like most of you, have my days of glasses of half empty and half full, so let's talk about that.

O Line (Half Empty) - Most of last year. Just wasn't good, folks. And it's the essentially the same kids. There is that line of line thinking that things will stay status quo or even get worse (gulp!). I don't agree. See next.

O Line (Half Full) - Last Year. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Injuries. Youth and guys out of position. Good players regressed. Coaches were even out. I expect players to return to form, holdovers to step up and perhaps even receive a surprise from a rookie. My only real question is one of the tackle spots. If we are just decent there, our line will be solid.

Quarterbacks - (Half Empty) - Conner (or Max, uh huh...) has limited experience, a new OC and early schedule challenges. Welp, we are in the SEC, so if we're gonna start bein' all gloomy, might as well start practicing early....

Quarterbacks - (Half Full) - 8 TDs no picks in limited PT (though could've been a couple...), a very experienced OC who has worked with multiple types of QBs, experienced backup and what I predict to be a good defense/running game to backup Conner on the road while he's getting his footing.

Skill Players - (Half Empty) - Gotta tie this one to the O Line as I'm sure someone will also do for me. It doesn't matter how many guys we have who can throw, run and catch if we can't block our opponents consistently. I have to agree.

Skill Players - (Half Full) - Even with Achane gone, we are deeper, more experienced and talented in every group, except RB, and even there it's close with Smith as a multi-purpose back/WR. One aspect lost in Petrino's offenses is how much he could run over teams before setting them up with deep shots. He can be as as multiple as he wants if he has decent blocking. We can run or pass, run more traditional Pro or Spread, because we have the players at QB, RB, TE and WR. I'm saying we can push 35 points per game.

Run Defense - (Half Empty) - You remember the ratings, the performances and the 3 man lines. No need to remind you, but I suppose I just did. Yes Durkin is still calling the plays, so....

Run Defense - (Half Full) - Grown men against 17 & 18 year old kids, even big kids, not ideal. Injuries. Hopefully, our DC has realized our line is our strength and 3 is not a good number. I do expect us to be stronger and more disciplined. I also expect the LB play to be at least adequate with Durkin coaching it directly. Can't see him getting lost in stack of play sheets.

Rest of Defense, Turnovers & Intangibles (Half Full) - I don't foresee a big drop-off on rest of defense. Could even be marked improved as I can see us creating more turnovers if Durkin will apply more pressure. There's being undisciplined and unnecessarily safe. I think Durkin was too much the latter last season. Hope he lets loose the reins more this year. I like who we have in the secondary. I don't believe for a minute Jimbo will totally step away from the offense but I also believe Petrino has enough fire to tell him when to "step off." Instead, I think the conversations will go more like of the type, "Bobby, I think their box safety might be getting a little nosy on the play action we're running..." That's not any different that what any HC might say on any given Saturday. Both men need this to work to justify they still have "it," as does Addazio with the line. Can't wait to see!

Gig'em!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News