ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers and Thoughts for My Daughter Layla "Great Update"

gooch82

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2002
Some of you are familiar with my Daughter Layla's journey of Children's Cancer and my relationship with her. I didn't Father her, but have been in her life since she was 6 months old and stayed in her life since her Dad left her at 1 year of age. 6 months later we found Cancer in her (Neuroblastoma) and she eventually had Biopsy surgery, rounds of Chemo to try and shrink the tumor, surgery to remove this massive tumor from her abdomen and spine, then more Chemo, then radiation and then finally a stem cell transplant to start her cell system over. All at the age of 18 months old.

She is 16 years old now, for the first 5 years it was blood work and scans and then finally no more and they felt that they have beaten the Cancer. Which they have done. She is alive.

She then started have growth issues and had to get onto growth hormones to at least get to 5 feet as an adult. She had to have hearing aids and lots of dental work because of the radiation and chemo etc. Her ovaries were basically fried because of the radiation and she will never be able to have children. But she is alive. But this caused hormone production issues and is now on hormone therapy and is in Menopause at 16. She is alive. The hormones they gave her made her gain weight and distorted her breasts and she has had to have breast reduction this past summer. She is alive though.

2 weeks ago her wrist was hurting and began swelling up and she got an xray thinking broken or sprained arm. Nope, but it did show a mass or cyst or something there. Next was an MRI and they really can't tell exactly what it is. Bone Doctor appointment this morning and he thinks giant cell tumor initially and then finally the radiologist reads the MRI at Texas Children's thinks it is a benign cyst on the bone. But that need to get to Texas Children's Oncology immediately and look deeper. I think this means biopsy for sure.

At the very least she is looking at major surgery on her wrist to repair the damage from the cyst and that include bone grafts from another bone in her body.

Please send thoughts and/or Prayers for a positive visit to Oncology. This child has been though enough.

Update: Thank you guys so far for the Prayers.

Met with Oncologist/Surgeon Plan is to do surgery and scrape the mass or cyst (This Doctor is still thinking it is a benign cyst) They will scrape and do an immediate biopsy on it. If it is benign, they will continue on with the surgery and repair accordingly. If it is malignant then they will sew her up and we will start another path. The surgery should happen in the next 1 to 2 weeks based on surgeons schedule. Asking for continued thoughts and Prayers. Will update later

Update: 9/27/2022 They did surgery on Layla today, took biopsy and did immediate pathology on the tissue from the cyst. 99.99% consistent wit h a Aneurysmal bone cyst which is benign. They finish surgery and it went as well as it could have. Some damage to her bone from the cyst and rehab coming. For now in a cast and doing well. I want to thank you all for the Prayers and well wishes. God is good. Longest 2 weeks of my life.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News