ADVERTISEMENT

NIL related

d_machen

Known Member
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
League City, TX
Although not excited about loosing recruits/players I'm a little glad that we're taking a bit of a stand on the NIL ridiculousness. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and just because we can afford to outbid everyone doesn't mean that we should. Not sure that's what we're intentionally doing or not but effectively that's what we're doing.

There has to be a point where a single player is not worth the price tag. Walter Nolen for example, good player, maybe great player, but he's a defensive tackle who had 37 tackles and 4 sacks (I don't know what his price tag is exactly but let's say it's 1.5mil), is he 1.5mil better than the 5 star freshman you have sitting on the bench? Is Lagway, an unproven high school QB, worth 2 million or whatever Florida offered him?

There has to be a return on investment and a cost analysis has to be done to determine if a player is xxx amount better than other options that you have at a much lower cost.

I get it it's not my money but I can also put myself in the BMA's shoes and I would be absolutely livid about NIL, especially immediately following a 75mil contract buyout. 4 years ago pre-NIL they had to maybe provide a car or bag of cash (under the table) to the top guys. Now you have guys who are proven to be average to somewhat above average college players (I.e. Chappelle) looking to cash in with NIL contracts.

It's absolutely absurd and I'm glad we're being smart about it. If BMA's had to choose between spending their money on the coaching change in lieu of going crazy with NIL dollars, it was absolutely the right call. Having the right head coach and coaching staff has far greater impact on the teams success than an defensive tackle who may be just marginally better than the guy waiting behind him on the depth chart or an unproven QB when you already have Conner entrenched as your starter for the next 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: Huslin89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News