ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Thoughts

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
DT movement slow as a...well, Brick

There's a lot of speculation involving Texas A&M's interest in Texas DT coach Brick Haley, who was in town for a coaching event this weekend and made into a personal job interview by sitting down with Kevin Sumlin and the Aggies. That part, as expected, went well and now it's a matter of they can come to an agreement financially.
Folks on the Texas side say Haley is giving Charlie Strong a chance to match, but whether they will is a real question.So we wait a little longer.

One hiring worth mentioning

Last week, I mentioned that I thought Burce Matthews was gong to be around the team more, considering he had interviewed for the OL coach job. It turns out that both sides came to an agreement that suits them, as Matthews will be a "consultant" for the team this year with his focus on the line. Matthews could've had the OL coach job if he had wanted it, but he didn't want to recruit or miss his son Luke's final couple years of high school. In this way, the Aggies pick up a world-class talent and quality instructor, while Matthews is still able to be around when and where he wants to be. It's a smart move and a good one for the Aggies.

Quick look at attrition going into spring

Who's gone from last year that could be back? Here's most of them: Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, Justin Manning, Germain Ifedi and J.J. Gustafson. Jay Bradford remains a question, though I expect him to at least give it a go.
The loss of these guys opens up more space, without needed to add wiggle room, to the 85-man roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News