ADVERTISEMENT

media bias front and center

The solution is simple. If you come across the border illegally, you never ever get any entitlement money from the government regardless of age. You can't vote, get a drivers license. Just get in line. Come in legally. This stops all of the political components to the issue. I think we would see reverse migration quickly. No wall needed.

The solution is simple. If you come across the border illegally, you never ever get any entitlement money from the government regardless of age. You can't vote, get a drivers license. Just get in line. Come in legally. This stops all of the political components to the issue. I think we would see reverse migration quickly. No wall needed.
That won't happen, 3 year old illegal with no food bc of government restrictions.

International law states that the first safe country an asylum seeker comes to, must state their desire for asylum and start the process there. Are all these central american immigrants being shuttled all the way thru Mexico illegally then? Why must we be the end port? I call bullshit. Mexico needs to step up and do much more to fulfill their role in this, but they just wont. Easier to dump and blame the USA for all the ills in the world. I'd also like to see how many of these kids actually belong to the people bringing them across, I've seen reports of MS13 members kidnapping kids and trying to act like their fathers to get through. And no, I am not going to post links as this info I get from a few good friends who are career Border Patrol agents.

International law states that the first safe country an asylum seeker comes to, must state their desire for asylum and start the process there. Are all these central american immigrants being shuttled all the way thru Mexico illegally then? Why must we be the end port? I call bullshit. Mexico needs to step up and do much more to fulfill their role in this, but they just wont. Easier to dump and blame the USA for all the ills in the world. I'd also like to see how many of these kids actually belong to the people bringing them across, I've seen reports of MS13 members kidnapping kids and trying to act like their fathers to get through. And no, I am not going to post links as this info I get from a few good friends who are career Border Patrol agents.
What a load of shit. Seriously.

MS13 accounts for a minuscule percentage of crime in the united states, their numbers are paltry. You're just using the president's fabricated talking points to justify a reprehensible program that's rightfully being called out around the world.

Own your racism and bigotry and quit trying to hide behind some nefarious conspiracy that's bullshit. I know many on this site don't give a shit about any other human being that's not their immediate family and view other countries people as "vermin" to use the president's language. But these people love their kids just like we do here in America.

This policy is disgusting and below what the United States used to stand for. Why it's ok w/ a lot of you is something that really does baffle me. I can't comprehend how someone can become so callous and unfeeling.

Reactions: marc92&94

MS13 accounts for a minuscule percentage of crime in the united states, their numbers are paltry. You're just using the president's fabricated talking points to justify a reprehensible program that's rightfully being called out around the world.

Own your racism and bigotry and quit trying to hide behind some nefarious conspiracy that's bullshit. I know many on this site don't give a shit about any other human being that's not their immediate family and view other countries people as "vermin" to use the president's language. But these people love their kids just like we do here in America.

This policy is disgusting and below what the United States used to stand for. Why it's ok w/ a lot of you is something that really does baffle me. I can't comprehend how someone can become so callous and unfeeling.
It’s happening. When 10 out of 12 are unaccompanied minors it’s happening at an alarming rate. These families are choosing to send their children unaccompanied for some reason. If they’re seeking asylum then why do the parents stay? These families are choosing to separate themselves when they send their kid alone to America. If they’re not sending their kid they’re choosing to break our law and know the consequences are that they can be arrested. If I’m arrested my kids aren’t going to stay home alone. Quit with the moral outrage if you weren’t upset about this happening previously. Why don’t you talk about the Russians some more. I’d love to discuss Comey going to jail

Reactions: OldSchoolAg1968
“Why it's ok w/ a lot of you is something that really does baffle me. I can't comprehend how someone can become so callousand unfeeling.”

Obviously because you feel that the damage done by selective law enforcement is justified because it makes YOU feel good.

Maybe also because this three day diversion is diverting attention from the shit storm brewing over the FBI bias in the Clinton email scandal and that makes you feel good.

No, wrong again. Do you guys lie to your family and business associates as well?:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2f11f6-73d6-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html

read this article, went back and reread AggieinDC's articles. The WP article is fairly balanced (by today's standards anyway)

All the bitching back and forth is fun, but to have a reasonable discussion, we have to be able to agree on the basic facts and go from there.

So I'll admit, you are right in that this is the first time separating parents from children has been enforced to this degree. AKA zero tolerance. So my understanding is that it's been the law for a long time (2002ish), the previous administration considered enforcing it in 2014. Its widely known that smugglers are using children to game the system and according to the WP article, our lax rules towards family's with children likely led to the crisis in 2014.

are those the basic facts as you understand them?

I think a large part of the problem is the way immigrants are being perceived. The prevailing rhetoric of the moment, due mostly to the President's comments are that we are being invaded by criminals and low-lifes. Its just simply not true. While there are of course some bad elements, in large part these are people wanting a better life. You guys can't can't put yourself in their shoes because you were never on the other side of it. But I promise you: if it came to it - you would do anything in your power to give your family the best opportunity to succeed. Its what my father did. When he brought us here from Guatemala when I was two because the Guatemalan government was killing people left and right, many of them his coworkers and friends. We came legally, but it was a time when the process was much easier and smoother than it is now. We basically make it impossible and leave people desperate to flee their situation with little choice.

Again, I've said this before. I am not advocating we ignore laws. But please, for the love of humanity - stop being so callous towards immigrants. They are not beneath you, they are not criminals in the sense that we as a society view criminals. They are people who made a choice that the benefits outweigh the risks. Much like when you decide to speed to get to work on time. You're a criminal in that moment too. We can be human-fvcking beings about this. Trump has created this crisis by his rhetoric that murders and rapists are the only ones coming across. I am neither. My parents worked their ass off, earned their citizenship and put 4 boys through college. All Aggies. There is a face to this that you do not see. If you don't care - fine, just admit you don't care.

read this article, went back and reread AggieinDC's articles. The WP article is fairly balanced (by today's standards anyway)

All the bitching back and forth is fun, but to have a reasonable discussion, we have to be able to agree on the basic facts and go from there.

So I'll admit, you are right in that this is the first time separating parents from children has been enforced to this degree. AKA zero tolerance. So my understanding is that it's been the law for a long time (2002ish), the previous administration considered enforcing it in 2014. Its widely known that smugglers are using children to game the system and according to the WP article, our lax rules towards family's with children likely led to the crisis in 2014.

are those the basic facts as you understand them?
Yes, I agree w/ the one stipulation that based on everything I’ve seen or read the % of children being “muled” vs those coming over w/ families is minuscule.

Yes, I agree w/ the one stipulation that based on everything I’ve seen or read the % of children being “muled” vs those coming over w/ families is minuscule.

I haven't read anything concerning the mule numbers. I've read the number of kids or families affected by the new enforcement guideline is something like 2500 in the past 2 months.

In the WP article it states that separation of families occurs because the adults are being arrested and charged for entering the country illegally (apparently this was not happening previously). I think you would agree that families are separated in most every other criminal prosecution. Why should illegal immigrants be treated differently than others who break the law? I'm not trying to trap you here, honestly trying to understand where you are coming from so we can find common ground.

It sounds like you agree that granting a sort of loophole for families previously led to an immigration "crisis" in 2014. So how do we prevent masses of people from trying to come to the US illegally to exploit these loopholes? Again, asking for your honest thoughts here. I'll admit, I do not have all the answers.

The reported numbers show that of some 12,000 kids in the last few weeks 10,000 showed up on their own without a family member.

Sounds like this wasn't a problem under Obama because he wasn't enforcing the law. A supreme court ruling requires kids can only be held for 20 days before being turned over to federal custody, so if the parents don't get a hearing within 20 days the kids have to be moved. These laws have been in effect for many years. The only thing that Trump is doing differently is prosecuting everyone caught entering illegally instead of letting them go.

Sounds like he will be signing an executive order today that requires asylum seekers get a hearing within 72 hours. Problem solved. Unless it gets challenged in the courts, which it probably will because democrats don't care any more about these kids/families than republicans. They care about making the President look bad and riling up the wingnuts.

Reactions: dad_in_tx
Every one of these adults will plead guilty of illegal entry at their hearing and sent back home with their kids. To think they are willing to give up their kids to the government while waiting for this date makes you wonder what kind of parents they are.

Sounds like this wasn't a problem under Obama because he wasn't enforcing the law. A supreme court ruling requires kids can only be held for 20 days before being turned over to federal custody, so if the parents don't get a hearing within 20 days the kids have to be moved. These laws have been in effect for many years. The only thing that Trump is doing differently is prosecuting everyone caught entering illegally instead of letting them go.

Sounds like he will be signing an executive order today that requires asylum seekers get a hearing within 72 hours. Problem solved. Unless it gets challenged in the courts, which it probably will because democrats don't care any more about these kids/families than republicans. They care about making the President look bad and riling up the wingnuts.
yes, as LSA's linked story explained, the handlers are giving these people advice designed to game the system by overwhelming the courts and hopefully released into our country. Good to see we will be expediting the process.
Another step should be to allow border patrol to take undocumented immigrants caught at the border directly to ICE for removal. Right now they lawyer up, wait weeks or months for their date, stand in front of the judge and plead guilty. It's a farce.

I call horseshit on you buddy. I just used the MS13 as an example. How many friends do you have on Border Patrol and have you ever spoken with them? It is far worse than what is reported. And they are STILL BREAKING THE LAW! God dang man, how ignorant can you be? It has nothing to do with feelings, it has to do with the integrity of the country as a whole.
These people KNOW the risks they are placing their families in yet try to sneak in anyway. Since when do criminals NOT get separated from their children? And before you get on your libtard high horse about the term criminals - THEY ARE STILL BREAKING THE LAW. If they want to have a better life, then clean the F*CK out of their own country instead of trying to subvert ours. The policy has been in effect since Clinton signed it into law, and only now do you want to bitch and complain? Where the hell have you been before now?
Piss off.

I call horseshit on you buddy. I just used the MS13 as an example. How many friends do you have on Border Patrol and have you ever spoken with them? It is far worse than what is reported. And they are STILL BREAKING THE LAW! God dang man, how ignorant can you be? It has nothing to do with feelings, it has to do with the integrity of the country as a whole.
These people KNOW the risks they are placing their families in yet try to sneak in anyway. Since when do criminals NOT get separated from their children? And before you get on your libtard high horse about the term criminals - THEY ARE STILL BREAKING THE LAW. If they want to have a better life, then clean the F*CK out of their own country instead of trying to subvert ours. The policy has been in effect since Clinton signed it into law, and only now do you want to bitch and complain? Where the hell have you been before now?
Piss off.
RFS-Logo_FINAL-1.jpg

I'm curious if you agree with Schumer's stance today. Basically, he doesn't want to fix the law, he wants Trump to deal with it. On one hand, its quicker, but he also has the power to fix the law permanently so no president will have the ability to do this again. The cynic in me says Schumer is playing politics because he thinks this is hurting Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/393069-schumer-rejects-gop-proposal-to-address-border-crisis

Trump signed executive order to stop doing something that he never had to do. I'm sorry that you guys won't get to see more children ripped from their mothers for some sort of perverted justice that you believe in.

I'm curious if you agree with Schumer's stance today. Basically, he doesn't want to fix the law, he wants Trump to deal with it. On one hand, its quicker, but he also has the power to fix the law permanently so no president will have the ability to do this again. The cynic in me says Schumer is playing politics because he thinks this is hurting Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/393069-schumer-rejects-gop-proposal-to-address-border-crisis
Absolutely the case

I have no doubt there is a level of politics involved here but I also tend to agree that this is Trump's mess to fix. He decided to go zero tolerance and if he doesnt like the kids being removed then he should fix it on his own, because he can.

What I think congress should be doing is putting together bipartisan legislation to address immigration as a whole but the prospects of that are very dim.

Trump signed executive order to stop doing something that he never had to do. I'm sorry that you guys won't get to see more children ripped from their mothers for some sort of perverted justice that you believe in.
You have to agree this order challenges law that was upheld in court that kids cannot be detained with adults more than 20 days. As soon as a kid exceeds 20 days, his order will get struck down by a court. This is what he was trying to avoid.
And respectfully **** off.

LSA - what is your current prediction on the Mueller investigation? A few days ago you were looking forward to Trump being burned at the stake.

Reactions: rustyo
What will happen if history holds, is the Dems will continue to hammer Trump and R’s on this even though a solution is now in place. They will overplay the political advantage they gained on this and lose it. They will move to something else to complain about and it will be apparent their real anger is with the zero tolerance policy itself.

I know how disappointed you must be that the suffering of these criminals appears to be ending, rustyo.
john-moore-border-photos-973077510-1529348242.jpg

I have no doubt there is a level of politics involved here but I also tend to agree that this is Trump's mess to fix. He decided to go zero tolerance and if he doesnt like the kids being removed then he should fix it on his own, because he can.

What I think congress should be doing is putting together bipartisan legislation to address immigration as a whole but the prospects of that are very dim.

Totally agree, they should be putting together a full package.

Unfortunately for those affected at the border, I don't think Trump sees this as an issue. He ran on stopping illegal immigration and he apparently believes this is an effective strategy. Based on his past actions, I don't see him reversing course because of negative media coverage.

I imagine the democrats know that as well, so doesn't it undermine their credibility (or at least Schumer's) to feign outrage at kids being taken from their parents, but then refuse to take up legislation that would end the practice?

The entire system is ****ed up if the incentive to score political points is greater than the incentive to do the right thing, even in obvious cases like this. (I will freely admit that you can find instances of republicans doing the same thing during the O administration)

I know how disappointed you must be that the suffering of these criminals appears to be ending, rustyo.
I think you are frustrated that the little girl will no longer be used by your side to score political points. I do hope she and her mother can reunite quickly so they can get a fair hearing.

If you mean that I'm on the opposite side of snatching children from their parents then, yes, I'm on that side.

The reported numbers show that of some 12,000 kids in the last few weeks 10,000 showed up on their own without a family member.

They sound like they’ll make damn good Americans. Stepping out on their own taking risks.
Probably going to be good workers.

These spoiled 25-30 year old American kids that you have to run off 2 weeks after hiring them because they are afraid to sweat a little and they refuse to put their phones down and get off Facebook.

Reactions: mhoozer
Yeah the photographer that took this picture in McAllen, Texas (John Moore) says the girl started crying when she was set down by her mother while being interviewed by border agents and immediately picked back up when they were done and both child and mother were taken to processing together. So just keep spreading the lies Mr 99.

worst argument ever.
I guess it wasn't so bad after all, since that's exactly why it was happening.

“ICE could not devise a safe way where men and children could be in detention together in one facility,” Fresco said. “It was deemed too much of a security risk.”

That's a quote from Leon Fresco, a deputy attorney general under Obama, who was defending the practice in court on behalf of the Obama administration.

http://amp.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...ticle213525764.html?__twitter_impression=true

To summarize, Trump didn't create this problem. It's been going on for years, but he has seemed to have fixed it.

I wonder how much credit he will get?

Probably nothing going on down there at all, right rusty?
Don’t you think the media should be able to report honestly to make their points? They need images for emotional advantage so they create them. Time magazine used this girl on their cover. It’s dishonest and why the media is not trusted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT