ADVERTISEMENT

Let's not kid ourselves

SubmarineAg

Known Member
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
Olympia, WA
Our 2023 injury depleted team is more talented than Miami, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Those three losses do not make sense.

But let's not kid ourselves. Injuries matter. Settings matter. Luck matters.

In a championship year, we get penalties called like a holding on a TD kick return in Miami and an obvious facemask in Knoxville. In a championship year, Max's Alabama interception bounces harmlessly to the ground. In a championship year, it's our opponents that have critical injuries and not us. That's how college football has always worked.

Let's not kid ourselves. An Aggie National Championship will probably not look like 'Bama's or Georgia's reign of dominance. It most likely will look like a flash in the pan. Lightning in a bottle. Our team will be coached by the equivalent of Ed Orgeron or Gene Chizik. Hell, even coaches like Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, and Les Miles all look like they would have underperformed to our expectations.

Let's not kid ourselves. We're not going to money-whip a National Championship. There's no slam-dunk hire and/or recruiting class(es) on the market, that will bring what we all want. If it were possible, we would have done it a long time ago. And so would have many other programs. Jimbo's success has always depended upon his recruiting elite football players that buy in. He's largely done that. Players regressing, not meeting expectations, or injuries are a part of the process. Every program deals with them.

Nick Saban is one QB injury away from a 7-5 season too.

The 2023 season is the end of an era and our success will hinge on how we meet the new conditions. NIL. The Portal. No 'Bama or Georgia every year.

However, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We've got to find some way of encouraging players to finish their eligibility playing at a high level. We are not going to win with a roster full of talented freshmen and sophomores. My first step would be to ensure that our NFL Draft caliber players understand that the end of their college football eligibility includes a paycut. I would like to use the portal to patch holes. I do not want our football team to be a bunch of mercenaries like Colorado.

Yes, this season sucks. We didn't beat Miami on the road when we were the better team. We lost to Alabama when we were the better team. We lost to Tennessee on the road, when we were the better team. It was never going to be our aborted '20 season schedule.

Lastly, no matter their errors, it's clear that the majority of our players and coaches want to win and they want to win for A&M. That matters a lot to me.

Booo them if you want. Call for a coaching change. Just don't kid yourself and think that you could do it better.

Reactions: CHUCK70
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News