ADVERTISEMENT

@Knot.Hole, You Called It Right

saheat

Gold Member
Dec 24, 2012
Bulverde, Texas
@Knot.Hole A while back I asked you about the stress my live oaks were placed under after the 2021 freeze/snow event, along with ~3 years of being within the bulls eye of the worst scorching drought in the state, an ice storm last year that broke major limbs off the majority of my trees, and a foliage-stripping hail storm last June that shredded 1/3-1/2 of all my trees' leaves. You said the trees would be susceptible to disease due to the stress and boy were you right.

I was always worried about oak wilt, but I've now been introduced to the Hypoxylon Canker disease, which so far has taken roughly 14 old growth live oaks on my land including a monster that was likely around 200 years old. I had 9 trees removed on Thursday and am scheduling to have more work done in the next couple of weeks. I had never heard of that disease before a couple of months ago, but have learned a lot about it in recent weeks. The disease is running rampant in north SA and up north into the Hill Country with all the stressed oaks. My neighbor has lost about 9 oaks so far and I'm sure I'll be losing more.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News