ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Breyer Retiring

Probably trying to give them an issue for the midterms. But agree that they'll be able to get through a nominee right now even with a Republican Senate. I'll be highly interested to see who Biden picks. But I expect any Republican senatorial candidates in toss up situations to say that they'll vote to confirm Biden's pick.

Gonna be a lot of infighting on the Dem side for who gets nomination.

I’m sure confirmation will happen easily once they put their nominee up.

But I got a feeling this was pushed on Breyer knowing they likely lose senate this year…..

Gonna be a lot of infighting on the Dem side for who gets nomination.

I’m sure confirmation will happen easily once they put their nominee up.

But I got a feeling this was pushed on Breyer knowing they likely lose senate this year…..
Now time to see if what I thought was insane reporting about Biden putting Kamala Harris on the court was actually insane or on point.

Probably trying to give them an issue for the midterms. But agree that they'll be able to get through a nominee right now even with a Republican Senate. I'll be highly interested to see who Biden picks. But I expect any Republican senatorial candidates in toss up situations to say that they'll vote to confirm Biden's pick.
She'll be black.

She'll be black.
Still will be highly interested in how he approaches this. A traditional candidate from the courts of appeals or a state supreme court? Or someone totally out of left field who may not even be a judge right now? Going to be fascinating.

Reactions: Win77
Assuming no Dems (ie- Manchin &/or Sinema) defect Biden will get whomever they want because they removed the filibuster for judicial nominees during the Obama administration. This is why Trump was able to get Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney-Barrett confirmed without 60 votes to invoke cloture.

The good news is that no matter who is nominated and confirmed it won't shift the balance of the Court.

Chances are it will be a woman, possibly African American to minimize any scrutiny from the Republicans. Otherwise it may be hell from the right.
I would love for the right to whip ass any Biden nominee.

There will lots of infighting in the democrat party over this and at least one side will be unhappy. Then when they go to confirmation hearings, it will get dragged out with some fireworks. Not sure why any person with reasonable cognitive abilities would want to go through this. Most of Biden's nominees have had to pull their names out of the box. May happen again here.

Ketanji Brown Jackson narrowly lost out to Garland and is Paul Ryan’s sister in law. She sits on the Washington DC Court of Appeals,

The R team couldn't stop anything even if they wanted to since K Harris is the tie breaker.
Will it happen this Senate year or next since Breyer is retiring after the SC adjourns ins the Summer. Not sure on time table though I am sure the pressure was to get it done before next year.

Can we focus on the best candidate and not based on race/sex? Doing the later burned Biden once.

Reactions: TAMU_Fan
There will lots of infighting in the democrat party over this and at least one side will be unhappy. Then when they go to confirmation hearings, it will get dragged out with some fireworks. Not sure why any person with reasonable cognitive abilities would want to go through this. Most of Biden's nominees have had to pull their names out of the box. May happen again here.

This…. Democratic Party going thru identity crisis right now , in fighting will be historic as u are replacing a liberal judge , sanders and company will be fighting tooth and nail for their chosen replacement…

Assuming no Dems (ie- Manchin &/or Sinema) defect Biden will get whomever they want because they removed the filibuster for judicial nominees during the Obama administration. This is why Trump was able to get Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney-Barrett confirmed without 60 votes to invoke cloture.

The good news is that no matter who is nominated and confirmed it won't shift the balance of the Court.
Incorrect. The filibuster change pushed thru during Obama admin was for Federal Judge's confirmations, but excluding the Supreme Court. McConnell's 51-vote threshold was introduced to get Gorsuch thru.

Incorrect. The filibuster change pushed thru during Obama admin was for Federal Judge's confirmations, but excluding the Supreme Court. McConnell's 51-vote threshold was introduced to get Gorsuch thru.

In before "Opened the door"

Can't imagine Sinema or Manchin voting no on anyone.
I think they both say, "the president has the right to get his nominees thru."

Will it happen this Senate year or next since Breyer is retiring after the SC adjourns ins the Summer. Not sure on time table though I am sure the pressure was to get it done before next year.

Can we focus on the best candidate and not based on race/sex? Doing the later burned Biden once.
If the best candidate is a black woman half (or more) of the country won’t believe it.

That is indeed one of the many negative consequences of using race a a criterion.
You can’t help being a talented black woman. You’re born into that and then work hard at developing your talent.

But the reality is that everyone is flawed so criticism of anyone is easy. And it gets weaponized to produce a narrative.

Much like Rivals changing their subjective rankings which suddenly dropped the Aggie class from 1st, whoever gets picked will be subject to criticism that belies their worthiness.

Reactions: Win77
If someone says they're going to appoint a black woman then there will be a question. If they just appointed someone who happened to be a black woman it would probably play out a little better. I don't care what someone is except that the right tries to hire people that interpret the consititution and the left appoints activists. That's why you see Roberts and Kavanaugh and even Gorsuch side with the left on some things but rarely the other way around.

You mean only partially correct.

I had forgotten that nuance but the point remains, Reid and the Obama Administration opened Padora's box here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT