ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Ireland/UK

AggieMoJo

Known Member
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2003
My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary this year with a trip to Ireland and the UK.

I was fortunate enough to have made this trip (although a much abbreviated-10 day trip) in 2016 as a chaperone with my youngest son and a group of high school kids with EF Tours. Was a life-changing experience as my family is Scotch/Irish.

We'll be landing in Dublin in early Sept and will be there for 3 weeks. We will be renting a car and doing our own trip, not part of a group. Our plan is to take 9 days each in Ireland and Scotland and the remaining days in England/London. With an unlimited number of sites to see, we have to make good use of our time.

Our rough itinerary is as follows:

IRELAND
-Dublin (couple days) - staying in the Temple Bar district then heading S to,
-Wicklow
-Wexford
-Cork
-Blarney Castle
-Kilarney
-Dingle peninsula
-Limerick/Shannon
-Cliffs of Moher
-Galway
>then heading N to,

NORTHERN IRELAND
-Londonderry (Derry), Northern Ireland UK
-Bushmills
-Giant's Causeway
-Belfast
>ferry over to Scotland (Cairnyarn), then head N along west coast of Scotland

SCOTLAND
-Ayr
-Troon (plan to see Prestwick and Royal Troon golf clubs)
-Irvine
-Kilmarnock/Kilmaurs
-Cunninghamhead (this area is my family is from), Ayrshire County plan to spend some time here
-Finlaystone Castle (W of Glasgow), my family had this castle for around 400 years.
-Glasgow
-Bannockburn/Stirling
-St Andrews (plan to see the Old Course)
-Edinburgh (Edinburgh castle and Royal Mile). Couple days here.

ENGLAND
-London & surrounding area
-Stonehenge

For those who've taken a similar trip to this region, looking for must-see locations, bars, restaurants, b&b's, historical sites, towns, neat shops, events, etc. Really was hoping to see the Royal Military Tattoo drum and bagpipe corps at the castle, but it ain't gonna happen.

We already have a bucket list of sites already, some of which I've been to before but would appreciate any insight for our trip.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: aggiekhan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News