ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime observations

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Ok, can we please quit asking about who's calling the plays?

The Aggies are doing what they were supposed to do and stomping New Mexico. But there's still work to be done.

Offensively, it's the Conner Weigman show. He's got four touchdown passes in the first half, the first guy to do that since Nick Starkel in 2017 (also against UNM). He's made great decisions, has largely been accurate and hasn't been fazed by any pressure. In fact, when there's been some, he's taken off. He has as many touchdowns as incompletions (12-16, 175 yards)
I said Bobby Petrino likes to look for weaknesses when he schemes. Clearly, he found one with the speed of UNM's corners. They can't keep up with A&M's receivers, so screw it -- throw deep. They've done it repeatedly and with great success. Evan Stewart and Noah Thomas just keep coming open, so hit them.
A&M has rotated all three backs, used Jake Johnson as a flanker, gone with an empty backfield and used five receivers. The tempo is better and they're clearly more aggressive.
The running game is not as great. The Aggies started to show some life before the half, but it's been a struggle beyond Amari Daniels' 28-yard run. Mark Nabou got the start, but he wasn't getting much push and Kam Dewberry was in at left guard in the second quarter. UNM isn't getting much pressure, but A&M should be pushing them around a lot more than they are in the running game. That could come after halftime, because the Lobos are plainly wearing down.
Rueben Owens had a great block picking off a blitzer on A&M's last touchdown drive. I just wanted that to be noted.

Running issues or not, A&M already has more offensive points score than they did any game last year. And they did that in their first five possessions.

Defensively, A&M started to come alive later in the second quarter. I think they were a little conservative early on and weren't doing much against the run or the pass. Then they forced a three and out, got a pick and got another 3 and out, and started to apply pressure against the run and pass.

Edgerrin Cooper has shown up tonight. 7 tackles and 2 tackles for loss already. He's been so fast that he's literally been everywhere. It's been impressive. Walter Nolen looks like the best player in the country from his class, with 5 tackles and a lot of pressure applied. And he knocked the crap out of one UNM ballcarrier later in the half.

Josh DeBerry is the other starting corner. He has popped several ballcarriers and then came away with a pick. He's been great. Jayvon Thomas has also played, but hasn't had much come his way.

The Aggies have 6 tackles for loss, but no sacks yet. They really need to start getting some pressure, but I think they're starting to figure out what UNM is trying to do and they're starting to pressure Hopkins. Hopefully they can get to him a couple of times in the second half.

The Aggies get the ball to start the second half, and I'd like for them to try to run the ball down UNM's throat, get another touchdown and get Weigman out of the game. Let Max get some snaps with the 1s and keep the foot on the gas. This is a definite improvement over last year, even if it's not perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News