Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email:
paul@westhoustonsf.com

Not all portal prospects went in on their own

As was noted by someone close to the program, bloody Wednesday came after players met with coach Mike Elko one-on-one. Not all the players that went into the transfer portal were going to before that meeting, but were told that it might not be a bad idea for them. The coaching staff definitely thinks that they can improve at several positions through the portal. In fact, I was told that the new staff has been disappointed to lose just two players of those who went in the portal.

Things are slowing down on departures

The Aggies haven’t had any entries to the portal since bloody Wednesday. While I’m not going to say there won’t be any more, I don’t think we’re going to see any massive run to the exits (suck it, national writers). I think most folks have made up their mind on what they’re going to do and the majority intend to stay. I’ve said before that, with the portal, things can go from good to bad in 5 minutes, but right now things look much calmer.

DC hire was close…

There was discussion of FSU’s Ryan Fuller being a target for A&M’s defensive coordinator job, but he signed an extension with Florida State yesterday. As it turns out, Fuller was indeed a serious target for A&M, but FSU jumped in before things could be completed and gave him a major pay raise, so he stayed.

I’m told that A&M would have been happy with three DC choices, so they’ve moved on to another one of the remaining two. That deal may be close to completion, but as we’ve seen, nothing is a certainty and it’s best to just take a wait and see approach.

Busy official visit weekend

The Aggies are scheduled to have five commits, one uncommitted recruit and at least three transfers in on official visits this weekend.

4-star Bellflower (Ca.) St. John Bosco LB Jordan Lockhart will be visiting for the first time since this summer.

4-star OL Isendre Ahfua from Seattle O’Dea will be in town as well. He’s got some former Pac-12 teams after him, but getting him in town seems to be a plus.

4-star DT Dominick McKinley is also official-ing. Just about everybody would love to flip him, but he hasn’t given any indication at all that he’s interested.

4-star OL Ashton Funk will visit and he’s solid.

4-star S Jordan Pride, who recently shot up the ranks in the Rivals 250, will also be in town.

Uncommitted 4-star DE Lugard Edokpayi of Forestville (Md.) Bishop McNamara is making his official. He has made trips to Minnesota and Rutgers so far and will visit FSU next weekend.

Former K-State CB Will Lee is in town this weekend. He says he’s down to A&M, Washington and Louisville, but the Aggies went after him from the word go and the interest is definitely mutual.

Former South Alabama WR Caullin Lacy is also in town this weekend. The very productive wideout had more than 1,000 yards receiving and 7 touchdowns last year. He would slot in perfectly as a replacement for Ainias Smith.

Former Old Dominion WR Javon Harvey is also visiting. A&M’s easily his best offer on the table at this point.

These are three of the first four players Elko offered when the portal opened. The Aggies could well land all three.

On the other side of the coin, 4-star DE Dealyn Evans is visiting Alabama this weekend, as is 3-star LB Tristan Jernigan. Both, however, are supposed to be in College Station next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News