Friday TIDBITS, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

Two options seem to be more likely as the season winds down

A couple of weeks ago, I said there were three options that could take place once the football season ends: Jimbo and AD Ross Bjork stay; Jimbo gets fired or they both get fired. I think we can add a fourth possibility, where Jimbo remains and Bjork is fired.

I continue to hear more fire about Bjork getting the boot than JImbo, though I'm not entirely sure why. It's something to do with people being unhappy with how the athletic department is operated than results, allegedly. That's all I've been told. But if you make the wrong people mad, you know how it goes.

I think the two most likely scenarios right now are 1) they both stay or 2) they both go. But in the case of #2, it could be that Bjork is fired, a new AD is brought in quickly and he "decides" to hire a new coach.

First coach name to come up

I can't overstate how different this situation is compared to Kevin Sumlin's in 2017. In that case, we knew what was happening by now and we had a real good idea (almost certain) who was going to replace him. That's not at all what we're dealing with now. If A&M wins tomorrow, that will strengthen Jimbo's case. If they don't, clearly that won't help. But the people who would have to cut the checks are still divided.
Having said all that, I have heard that there is one coach on the radar of some of the big money people backing a change: Oregon's Dan Lanning. Lanning is young, fiery, and has had some success at a bigtime program. If Jimbo is given the gate, this group would want to go after him first.
It is believed that Lanning, who was an assistant at Sam Houston early in his career, would have at least an interest in the job if it comes open. But I know of no feelers being sent out to this point.

Aggies using Ole Miss slights as motivation

Texas A&M players and coaches really don't like Ole Miss. The defense, especially, hates Lane Kiffin and his offensive players with a passion. They didn't appreciate Kiffin calling Bryce Anderson a "little bitch" last year and their postgame comments after a close win at Kyle Field really pissed them off. Backhanded compliments like "the best 5-3 team ever" this week just fueled the fire. When Ole Miss popped up 10th in the first CFP rankings, several Aggie defenders made sure to respond on twitter.

Injury update

RB Le'Veon Moss is a go for tomorrow. Albert Regis and Tyreek Chappell are questionable, but Chappell seems more likely of the two to go. I expect him to, but it's not a certainty. We're likely going to see Jayvon Thomas and Sam McCall some anyway.

DeBerry likely to have key role tomorrow

Josh DeBerry has played at nickel the past two weeks, and he's played it well. Slot receiver Dayton Wade is second on Ole Miss in receptions, so it stands to reason that a corner might have a better time with him than Bryce Anderson, who's more of a safety. I think we will see both guys at nickel tomorrow, but DeBerry may see more snaps while Anderson gets more time at safety.

Recruiting news

When Drelon Miller de-committed last week, it seemed like he'd be a quick flip to LSU. That obvious didn't happen, as his first trip was back to Aggieland. He has told Rivals that he wants to get a better look at some places, but A&M remains a very big factor. From what I have heard, A&M thinks they can get him back and LSU is not at all sure he's going to be a flip to them. His real thoughts on things remain a mystery except to him.

Recent RB offer Hunter Andrews was in College Station last weekend for the win over South Carolina and the Magnolia back is now very much a target for A&M. They've got work to do and a flip is not imminent, but he is now the odds-on favorite to be the running back in this class.

Dexter Dennis' replacement in the starting lineup is...

Illinois-Chicago transfer Jace Carter, with Middle Tennessee transfer Eli Lawrence also getting time. The odd man out right now really looks like Manny Obaseki, who got just two minutes of playing time in the exhibition against Texas Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News