ADVERTISEMENT

Few things I saw rewatching game...

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Offense
  • First, Weigman was awesome with his reads and making the Lobos pay for what they were doing on defense. If I were to nitpick a little, he slightly under threw the TD passes to Stewart and Thomas (last 2), but that's just getting really picky. I'm sure it will be pointed out in film study. Other TDs couldn't have been thrown better. 5 TDs is 5 TDs.
  • Calls were very vanilla and formation dependent. Not much eye candy to move defense at all. The matchups, routes and blitzing (they did) pretty much did the job if the protection held up and we caught the ball. Receiver adjustments were fantastic. We'll see even more from Petrino this week.
  • Not completely unhappy with with run game against 8-9 man boxes, but there were opportunities missed. TE blocking was particularly bad. Expected some whiffs from Bisontis due to youth, but was not terrible. Looking to get better overall against Miami.
Defense
  • Let's start off with the not so good. Many on here, including myself initially, thought Russell should've shouldered a lot of the blame on their TD run. After a few looks, I'm not so sure he didn't get held some, but moreover, he didn't get any help in front of him. Hicks and Jackson jumped out of their gaps, allowing themselves to be washed out of the play, leaving Russell by himself 8 yards downfield. Richardson and the corner got locked up, too. Poor rep by everyone.
  • Other than that, the rush defense was pretty solid. The tackles penetrated and disrupted. The ends funneled. The LBs didn't overcommit too much and the secondary supported. Have to see to better competition to call us better.
  • Coverage was pretty much designed to do what it was supposed to do. Keep them in front.
  • Pass rush? Not too good. Partly because the Lobos's short passing game and partly we had to add to the line not getting home. Hope it improves. Need it to.
Have to be Happy about 52-10, Gig'em!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News