ADVERTISEMENT

Dogs

charles3ct

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2006
I know we have a lot of Dog owners on this site. Our state has initiated new ordinances on dogs. Specifically having them outdoors. The state of Connecticut is un-friendly about keeping your dog outdoors. I have a blue Heeler/Australian Cattle dog and he hates to be indoors for any extended time. When I got him I built an Alaskian style dog house it looks similar to image below. So the house has 3" of foam insulation all around it and a partitioned room to give him extra protection from the weather. It is raised up off the ground 3" and is perfectly designed for him.

I have a pain in the butt neighbor who has called the cops on us multiple times as the dog is outside while it is cold out. The fact that he is out wondering around the yard which is fenced in rather than in his house tells me he aint cold and he loves to monitor the yard chase Rabbits, squirrels and the like. My neighbor also has some sort of lab mix. The poor dog is inside all F'n day looking out the window and only goes out on a leash for a walk then back in after he does his bodily functions.

So every year the cops show up I walk them around and show them the dog house painted blue with his name Ol'Blue on the front. The examine it look at the dog and tell me to have a nice day. SO this neighbor does not like that so he worked hard to get a new ordinance about what a shelter is defined as in the state. I just read through the new ordinance.

1. Must be sturdy shelter - Yep
2. Must have a adaquete roof - Yep - it is shingled with the same as the house.
3. Must be Insulated - Check - 3" of foam all around with a doggie door flap
4. Must be raised of the ground at least 2" - yep it is 3"

So he is going to call them when it gets cold out - and once again his ass will be denied yet again.

I will add he is getting old so the last few years he comes in at night to sleep. except like tonight when it is so nice outside in the lower 50's.

I do agree with the ordinace and I am in compliance of it - and that is going to make them go ape shit.
Also people that toss a poor indoor dog outside in really cold weather with no shelter are as bad as those that leave the toddler in the hot car.

What do you guys do with your dogs? Granted Texas it is all about the heat - and it is much harder to stay cool out than to keep warm for a dog.

iu

Last edited:
Reactions: darterbury
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News