ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Battles: Wide Receiver

JustAvgIllini

Known Member
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
This will be a competition about not who starts but who plays and who plays in crunch time specifically. Every one of the players on my list is going to have something of a chip going into the Spring then into Camp. Whether it's been injury, unimaginable personal loss, a jump in competition or something else, every guy feels he has something to prove to himself or the staff or both. So...
  • The Contenders- It's quite a list but we are talented. I think we've had some addition by attrition in the offseason, even if the talking heads don't want us to believe it. Like Mark, I wish we could've kept Cottrell. Once Jimbo was gone so was Coleman, but I love the addition Williams early and Bethel-Roman late. I just don't know that either will crack this rotation this soon.
    • Moose Muhammad - My irritation with the previous staff over the pettiness and childish misuse of this player is LOUD! I would've almost have fired them just for that (along with the O Line mismanagement, of course...). It just falls on the ridiculous a kid this talented should not be the player he should be by now.
    • Noah Thomas - Let's just scratch off last season and start anew. I give the young man all the credit in the world for toughing it out for what had to be miserable circumstances. We could see the ability. The Lord's blessings to Noah and his family...and hope for more breaks to him in his football career (injury wise) as well.
    • Jahdae Walker - Yes, Walker had some drops last year, but he also had a some really tough catches sprinkled in as well, which means, he just needs to be more consistent. That's what practice is for. He has the size, speed and underrated elusiveness we need in a bigger receiver. A little better hands and I don't see him coming off the field too much.
    • Jabre Barber - What I've already heard about this young man is that he exudes a particular kind of quiet self confidence that he didn't just come to A&M to compete, he came to start. Don't know if it's true, but if so, I love the attitude! Also, everything I've seen and read about him screams quickness and shiftiness. If there's are elements Coach Klein uses well in his offense, that's them.
    • Cyrus Allen - An old saying in football is you can't teach speed. I agree with that premise with one caveat. You can't teach speed but you can, however, learn to manage speed to defeat your opponent. How else would "slower" players win against guys they would normally beat in straight line races? I definitely think Allen is an example of this. Not the fastest timed guy, I imagine, he still maximizes superior speed management, route running and body control to average over 18 yards a catch. A deep threat, but not a burner?! Can't wait to see.
    • Micah Tease - Tease is probably the opposite of a guy like Allen. Has the speed, but doesn't know how to harness it yet. Not the worst thing for a young receiver as long as he has a good attitude and is willing to work. Those natural gifts, if they are there, are a head start. I give Tease a leg up on the other guys coming because he's had a year in college and that means something. His head is not spinning with the adjustment to campus life and all the other stuff that entails....
Gig'em!!!

Reactions: wick and BVOSUX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News