ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz

Majic8Ball

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2003
Corner Pocket
I’ve given a lot of thought to Buzz as a coach. Are we where we should be? Are we behind? Is he a value at what we’re paying?

Idk, but I’ve come to this opinion. He’s a top tier basketball coach. Maybe he’s not the best in game coach (though he’s not bad), maybe he’s not the best recruiter, but he gets more wins out of his guys relative to talent than damn near anyone.

I mean we play LOTS of teams that are more talented and come out on top more often than not. Take tonight, I look at that Ole Miss team, and player for player I’d be hard pressed to pick any of our guys over theirs. And they have a coach who was one of the hottest in the country and played for a title 5 years ago. Buzz took 2/3 from them.

He’s got an undersized team that doesn’t shoot the ball very well at all, and still leads the country in rebounding, defense, fouls drawn. All those things are coached, not innate.

I think if we can find a way to recruit even marginally better talent, Buzz can win big. Maybe Buzz values character over talent (kinda like an anti-Jimbo) but if we can get enough talent in front of him maybe he can land guys with just enough of both. I really think he just needs a little more natural talent on the roster and he’ll take this thing deep.

Rambling, but there have been a lot of “fire Buzz” or “keep Buzz” threads and I’ve been on the fence a bit because the offense is certainly frustrating. But I’m firmly in the keep Buzz camp if I have to really take an objective stance on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News