ADVERTISEMENT

A&M Working On New Deal for Kennedy

tsip despiser

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
Scott Woodward stated to the Dallas Morning News he is going to give BK a new deal. He's going to be here for a while.

Dallas Morning News 2.23.16

New Texas A&M athletic director Scott Woodward said Tuesday during a wide-ranging interview with The Dallas Morning News that a new deal could be on the way for men's basketball coach Billy Kennedy.

Kennedy has two years remaining on his contract, but they were essentially added to his original five-year deal for cosmetic reasons. Neither party has any financial obligation to the other after this season. No. 21 A&M (20-7) is expected to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time in Kennedy's five seasons.

"We will be," Woodward said when asked if negotiations are underway. "And I've assured coach Kennedy that we want him here and we have strong feelings to keep him here. And I think there will be something forthcoming in the near future."

Woodward also responded to questions about the job football coach Kevin Sumlin has done to this point. A&M went 11-2 under Sumlin in his first season in 2012 with Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, but the Aggies haven't been better than .500 in the SEC in the last three seasons.

"Very impressive, coming into this tough league, started off like a house of fire," Woodward said. "It was very, very impressive watching it from a distance. You know, having this thing come back down to earth -- I guess would be a way to describe it -- is humbling. I know he wants to do better and great things and get back to where he was. And I feel the same way.

"We're all in this together. We're in a rough neighborhood, as I've described the SEC West, and we need to be pulling in the same direction and helping coach all we can. From my standpoint, that means giving him the resources and advice when he seeks it, and support. Whether it's building a better staff or support staff or anything we can do to help, we're going to be here to do so."

This post will be updated with the full Q&A with Scott Woodward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News