ADVERTISEMENT

Winston Says Publix Employee Was Giving Him Free Food

Scout59

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2010
Jameis Winston admitted to a possible NCAA violation -- albeit minor -- stating during an ESPN interview he received free food from a Tallahassee grocery store.

The former FSU quarterback made headlines in April 2014when he was cited for stealing roughly $32 in crab legs and crawfish from Publix. But during ESPN Draft Academy segment that aired Tuesday night, Winston said he did not steal anything from the supermarket, insisting a store employee offered him the food free of charge.

Jim Harbaughand assistant Jedd Fisch ahead of the NFL Scouting Combinein February. In preparation for questions he would face at the combine, the former NFL coaches asked Winston to address the issues he had off the field. During a review of his transgressions, he left off a citation for stealing crab legs from Publix.

Fisch asked how he would address that issue and why he ignored it.

Winston responded, "How am I supposed handle if I got them for free? Just say I messed up?"

Harbaugh replied, "If someone gave them to you for free?"

Winston responded, "Yea.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-will-draft-jameis-winston-20150421-post.html
"The week before it was my buddy's birthday and we had got a cake and we met a dude who was inside Publix. And he said, ‘Hey, any time you come in here, I got you.’ So that day, we just walked up and he hooked us up with that.

"And when I came in to get crab legs, he did the same thing. And he just gave them to me and I walked out.

"Someone from inside the store said I didn't pay for them and that's how the whole thing started."

Harbaugh said Winston had to still accept responsibility for his actions.

"Keep it in a tight, tidy box. Tidy box," Harbaugh said. "Came in, got some crab legs, left. You know, people in the store reported that I didn't pay for it. And they were right, I didn't pay for them and I [expletive] up. I should not have taken anything for free."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.