ADVERTISEMENT

When will base ball adopt the challenge flag?

NebFlanders

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2013
Spring, TX
One of the most annoying things to see is an ump make clear as day bad call and the coach come out for a conversation, but I have never seen a call changed. Why cant they give the coach some power to correct obvious wrong calls.

Same rules as football. there would need to be indisputable video evidence. And you get 1 or 2 challenges if you are right you get to keep it but if you are wrong you lose it.

Now as far as what can be challenged? Clearly base running, picks and tags like what happened at 3rd yesterday. When it comes to pitching i feel that challenging the vertical position of the ball would be difficult because those limits of the strike zone really are at the judgement of the ump, but there could easily be an overhead camera that could challenge the horizontal limits of the strike zone, so in a critical moment in the game like last night, if the ball clearly did not cross the plate by many inches to the point the batter starts to toss the bat and jog to first, then it could be corrected.

The only hold up that I see is that not all ball parks have video cameras in the right position so it would not be fair for everyone until there are required standard camera positions and compliance throughout the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.