ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Who could step in as a starter in 2019?

While we've got a lot of time to see who turns out winning jobs before the Aggies open up in late August against Texas State, the loss of four early entrants to the NFL Draft and a good number of senior starters has opened up a number of spots in the starting lineup. Now is as good a time as any to start speculating about who to watch as the competitions unfold.

RB
Possibilities: Jashaun Corbin, Vernon Jackson, Deneric Prince, Jacob Kibodi, Corderrian Richardson, Isaiah Spiller
Early leaders: Corbin is set as the starter; Jackson and Spiller could fight for playing behind him.
There's still a lot of good options here, but Corbin is set. He earned the right to start with his performance this year. Jackson brings power and Spiller is a complete back, so that's why I lean in their directions. There will still be attrition here, almost certainly. There just aren't enough carries, even with Charles Strong already in the transfer portal.

FB
Possibilities: Ben Miles, Ryan Renick, Javonte Kemp
Early leader: Miles
This is why Miles came to A&M, to replace Cullen Gillaspia. It could be a whole different ballgame if someone like Richardson gets moved to get him on the field, but right now, Miles looks like he's got a good lead.

TE
Possibilities: Glenn Beal, Baylor Cupp, Jalen Wydermyer
Early leaders: All of them
All three of these guys are going to factor into the equation in 2019. Beal is more of a blocker, like Trevor Wood; Cupp can block, but he's a bigtime receiver like Jace Sternberger. Wydermyer is somewhere in between. All three will have roles to play.

C
Possibilities: Ryan McCollum, Colton Prater, Barton Clement
Early leader: McCollum
The Aggies would love for Clement to come on and seize the job, but he's still developing. McCollum isn't Erik McCoy, but he can handle the job.

LG
Possibilities: Jared Hocker, Grayson Reed, Tank Jenkins, Prater, McCollum
Early leader: Jenkins
This is purely a guess, but Jenkins has a really big upside. If he doesn't win the job, Reed or Hocker would probably get the nod. Dan Moore is a possibility if Kenyon Green comes in and wrecks shop at RT, allowing Carson Green to move to the left side, but we'll go with this for now.

RG
Possibilities: Luke Matthews, Hocker, Prater, McCollum
Early leader: Matthews
Again, a guess, but they didn't bring a Matthews in to sit. Prater and Hocker give them some versatility, but if Luke's ready, he'll be the guy (I think).

DE
Possibilities: Micheal Clemons, Bobby Brown, Max Wright, DeMarvin Leal, Derick Hunter
Early leader: Brown
All of these guys will have a role. Brown played very well as a freshman and brings the big frame theh Aggies want at at least one DE spot; Leal could be tough to keep off the field if he plays like he did this week at Army Bowl practices. Clemons could get flipped to the other side, but he'll also be on the field.

DE
Possibilities: Tyree Johnson, Jeremiah Martin, Tyree Wilson, Ondario Robinson
Early leader: Johnson
Johnson had three sacks in three games down the stretch and really established himself as a pass rusher. Martin's got the size and frame to do damage as well.

DT
Possibilities: Jayden Peevy, Mo Diallo, TD Moton, Josh Rogers, Adarious Jones
Early leader: Peevy has the starting job sown up
The question here is who will step up to be the backup when they need one. As good as Daylon Mack played this year, Peevy started to take time away from him later in the season, so that's a great sign for 2019. If Diallo has developed as a football player, he can be dangerous.

MLB
Possibilities: Anthony Hines III, Braden White, Andre White
Early leader: Hines
It's going to be Hines and Buddy Johnson in some combination. Andre White is on his way to College Station now and will be around for spring practice, giving him a real edge on the backup jjob.

OLB
Possibilities: Buddy Johnson, Ke'Shun Brown, Tarian Lee, RJ Orebo, Aaron Hansford, Keeath Magee
Early leader: Johnson
See above on the combinations. The fight will be for the backup gig. It'll be one great story if Hansford not only comes all the way back from a knee injury but switches positions in the process. It would also be a shot in the arm.

Nickel
Possibilities: Roney Elam, Devin Morris, Brian Johnson
Early leader: Elam
Elam started to play more and more as the season went on, so it makes sense that he would be the guy here. It'll just be a matter of how much size Mike Elko wants here.

S
Possibilities: Keldrick Carper, Derrick Tucker, Brian Williams, Demani Richardson, Larry Pryor
Early leader: Tucker
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Williams comes in and takes this job because he's a real talent. So is Richardson. I'm going with Tucker because he took advantage of the 15 practices to win his old job back and played well in the Gator Bowl. But his margin for error is slim.
Leon O'Neal has the other job, if you were asking.
Corners are not technically "open" positions, but let's be real: Elijah Blades and Erick Young will get long looks as soon as they arrive.

Recruiting info (Fletch)

Numbers crunch is real

Texas A&M really needs help in getting three more prospects in. Jimbo Fisher said he had three spots left in this recruiting class and that it is true. Even if they get all three, some more guys still need to transfer out and get into other programs. A&M is going to have to get creative in making room for them. If my math is right, A&M is still five short in order to fall under the limit if they take a full 26.

This is how real the crunch is

Marcus Banks is prized recruit that A&M really wanted. A&M is likely going to have to pass on him as they just don’t have the room for him. Three spots are left and two of them are for sure spoken for as Braedon Mowry and Joshua Ellison both have them if they get their grades right. If they both get their grades right in time and Ainias Smith commitment is legit, than that is it A&M is done in the 2019 class. They can’t add anymore and it does not matter who leaves the program. Ellison taking a greyshirt is possible and that would give A&M room to take one more and still have to have five leave the program. Dodson, Sternburger, Williams, and McCoy all helped in leaving early, but there is still a lot of work to be done on that front. I think some more names will come clear in the coming months as I have my eye on few guys who I see falling on the depth chart with this recruiting class coming in.

Visitor List for next weekend

Devonta Lee

Javonne Shepherd

Chris Russell

Jay Ward

Kenyon Green

Layden Robinson

First Junior Day

The first one is February 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsip despiser
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News