ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Top in-state 2017 OT enjoys visit (Fletch)

Texas A&M is starting to evaluate 2017 talent on the offensive line and one guy the coaches have had their eye on for a long time is Fort Bend Travis 2017 offensive tackle Will Farrar. The six foot, five inches, 290-pound prospect has offers from Arizona State and Utah, but is starting to get more interest from many top schools. Farrar was in College Station for Friday Night Lights and was very pleased with all that he saw.

"I really enjoyed my trip to College Station," he said. "The whole experience at Friday Night Lights was amazing."

Farrar was able to talk with new offensive line coach Dave Christensen and out of all the other activities planned at the event that was Farrar's favorite by far.

"I really enjoyed getting to meet the new offensive line coach," he said. "He told me he was really interested in me and that they would come check me out this spring and continue to evaluate me more."

Farrar is taking some time off and focusing his attention towards other things outside of recruiting, but he was busy with junior days as many see him as possibly the best offensive tackle in the state for 2017.

"Going to take a break from the visits and get ready for spring football and focus on other things," he said. "I did make visits to Alabama, Baylor, LSU, and Oklahoma though."

This is not Farrar's first trip to Texas A&M as he was in attendance for the A&M-Louisiana-Monroe game last season as well. Farrar is also getting interest from a lot of Pac-12 schools including UCLA and USC as well.

A&M offer 2017 OL (Fletch)

Texas A&M offered Frisco 2017 center Jack Anderson. The six foot, four inches, 275-pound already has offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, and Vanderbilt. On Tuesday, Anderson added an offer from Texas A&M. Anderson was thrilled to finally be offered by A&M who was close to getting offered last season when former wide receiver coach David Beaty was recruiting him.

"I'm really excited about the offer from A&M," he said. "It's a blessing to get an offer from A&M."

Anderson was offered by offensive line coach Dave Christensen who has been blessed with the offensive lineman for a while.

"Coach Christensen said I killed it at The Opening," he said. "He also said he had no doubts that I'm a guy that would fit in at Texas A&M."

With the offer from A&M, Anderson is now planning on a trip to A&M in the near future so he can visit with the coaches more."

"I really want to go check out A&M soon and meet all the coaches," he said. "I plan on going to one of their spring practices soon, but need to see when I can go down there."

Anderson has been working hard in the offseason as he gets ready for spring practice at Frisco high school very soon.

"I am trying to get better footwork," he said. "That has been my main goal this offseason is to get better in that department."

Anderson already has an idea of what he wants when he tries to figure out what school will be the best fit for him.

"I want a coaching staff that makes me feel like I am part of a family," he said. "I also want a school where I can get a good degree from and a school that makes me feel at home."

Anderson was at the Texas Tech junior day a few weeks ago as he has family ties to the school, but his grandfather is a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Hall of Fame. He also wants to visit Arkansas in the future as well.

A.J. Hilliard update

We mentioned last week that Hilliard had a shoulder injury, and it was another torn labrum. He had surgery on it Thursday and the recovery time is three to four months. That means he should be fully recovered no later than the end of July, which - while it means he'll miss a lot of the summer weight program - means he'll be ready to go for the start of fall camp. He's the third linebacker to miss time this spring with a shoulder injury, along with Otaro Alaka and Shaan Washington. All are expected to be ready for fall camp.

Brandon Williams keeps working

While most of his teammates are off enjoying spring break well away from school, RB Brandon Williams has stayed in the area and has continued to work out. After flirting with the idea of going pro last year, he's trying very hard to improve his skills and standing going into his senior season. He has a whole lot riding on this last campaign, and he's taking it very seriously. Another back, James White, just went home to Pearland and has been working out at Dawson High School.

What's up with the Westfield kids?

The Aggies have three offers, and a commit, at Houston Westfield. Tyrie Cleveland is the commit, and DT Ed Oliver and QB Dillon Sterling-Cole are the uncommitted prospects. We heard this week that Cleveland (who there have been rumors about) is likely to stick with the Aggies, and Cole is seriously considering committing. Oliver, on the other hand, appears to have very little interest in A&M at this point in time.

Could Arizona bring two huge commits in 2016?

The Aggies have done some serious damage in Arizona of late. In 2014, they came in and grabbed Kyle Allen and Qualen Cunningham; this past recruiting class, they took Christian Kirk. There's some debate over whether wideout N'Keal Harry or corner Byron Murphy is the best player in the state for 2016, but they could both end up in College Station. Harry, already an impressive 6'3", 210, has narrowed his list of leaders to USC, Washington and A&M, and many observers believe the Aggies may have the inside track over the Trojans at this point. Murphy, who played with Kirk at Saguaro High School, has it down to the Aggies, FSU, USC, UCLA and Washington. With the ties the Aggies have established at Saguaro, it would not be a surprise if Murphy followed Kirk's lead and headed east - but it would be a tremendous boost to the A&M secondary.

Other big names A&M is in good shape for

5-star LB Keion Joyner: Final four with LSU, UNC and FSU

Galena Park Northshore S Eric Monroe: Top four

Nacogdoches S Brandon Jones: Longtime leader

Manvel S Deontay Anderson: No set list of leaders, but considered by many to be the favorite to land him

Aggie targets at the Nike Camp (Courtney)

Texas A&M was well represented at the Dallas Regional Opening Camp; from signee Kyler Murray watching on and talking to Westfield wide receiver and Texas A&M commit Tyrie Cleveland, to Rivals100 offensive lineman and A&M commit Greg Little and three-star tight end Zarrian Holcombe.

There was also a large number of A&M prospects with offers in attendance and a few athletes who showed they deserve an offer, including Westfield dual-threat quarterback Dillon Sterling Cole. Cole was invited to the Opening after his exceptional performance on Sunday and he received an offer from Texas A&M.

Football is a family thing for the Cole's. Dillon is the son of former NFL receiver Chris Cole. As a junior at Westfield he threw for over 2,300 yards and 24 touchdowns.

On March 17th Sterling Cole tweeted out:

"Blessed to say that I've just received my 7th Offer from Texas A&M University."

Another A&M Prospect who received an invitation to the Opening was Flower Mound Marcus 2016 four-star tight end Kaden Smith.

Smith has been told numerous times by college programs how much he is needed and wanted. The Rivals250 prospect said he can tell who is genuine and who is not.

A few schools have started to separate themselves from the rest with hand written letters, phone calls from head coaches and authentic conversation. Three schools his father spoke highly of were Alabama, Stanford and Texas A&M.

Another prospect receiving an invitation North Shore 2016 four-Star safety Eric Monroe. The Rivals100 prospect has been to A&M twice already this semester; once for the A&M junior day in January and for Friday Night Lights. Monroe still plans on returning to A&M for their spring scrimmage Monroe admitted that the Aggies are high on his list along with Baylor, Texas and LSU.

I don't think it will be very long from now that Monroe (La.) Neville defensive tackle Rashard Lawrence hears from the Aggies. He told AggieYell that A&M is a school he wanted to hear from and would like to consider in his recruiting process. Lawrence spoke highly of Coach John Chavis' defenses, his success and the number of athletes he has helped put in the league. I don't think it will be long before the Aggies are on that long impressive list of his.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.