ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
What’s up with the OC situation?

Here’s what we know right now: Jake Spavital has a job and will be calling plays tomorrow against Western Carolina. We also know that the same group of big money Ags that were demanding changes at defensive coordinator last year are every bit as angry this year and are demanding changes at offensive coordinator this year. Whether Kevin Sumlin wants to make a move or not, like last year, may not be relevant; his hand may well be forced.

It would not be a shock at all if a move is made immediately after the season with an interim being hired like last year, but nothing is set in stone at this point. That’s why we’re sticking with the stance that a move is extremely likely. And for those of you wondering about potential replacements, A&M has not reached out to anyone at this time – nor would they be expected to. This will play out like last year, IF a move is made.

Who’s left on the board for A&M? (Mark and Rob)

After last night’s commitment of Trayveon Williams, the Aggies are done at running back and their list gets narrowed down a bit more as they try to finish up their 2016 class. Here’s who’s still on the radar for the Aggies:

TE: Thaddeus Moss

OL: Patrick Hudson, Jean Delance, Frank Martin

WR: Tyrie Cleveland, Clyde Leflore-Chriss, Tre’ Nixon

DE: Wole Betiku, Isaiah Chambers, Emmitt Gooden

DT: Ed Oliver, Ross Blacklock

LB: Michael Divinity, Jeffery McCulloch, Dontavious Jackson

S: Brandon Jones, Deontay Anderson, Ikenna Okeke

CB: Brandon Murphy, Eric Cuffee, Jack Jones, Kristian Fulton

ATH: Sewo Olonilua

(Note: A&M and several other schools have decided Olonilua is more of an offensive player than a linebacker, something he is also starting to come to believe. That’s why we have him listed as an athlete and how he is now being recruited.)

One last stab at Louisiana

The Aggies have several prospects in Louisiana that they’re still after, as you can see from the list up top. Michael Divinity is committed to LSU but we’ve heard that John Chavis has become more personally involved in his recruitment and A&M is making up some ground. Divinity himself has said the in-home visit of Chavis, Sumlin and Terry Joseph will be a big deal on whether he flips to the Aggies in the offseason.

WR Clyde Leflore-Chriss is looking at taking official visits in the offseason. He is only looking at Mississippi State and Ole Miss during the season, then will likely be visiting A&M, Texas Tech and Nebraska between the bowls and signing day.

CB Kristian Fulton remains enigmatic, but A&M believes they still have a legitimate shot with him. Their focus remains on getting him on campus and working things from there.

What’s Oliver going to do? (Courtney)

With the University of Houston head football coach Tom Herman's name circulating in the college football coaching realm one begins to wonder how that could impact their recruiting. In particular Westfield Rivals100 defensive tackle Ed Oliver.

Oliver is close to the Houston coaching staff, and feels confident that his future coach isn't going anywhere. Therefore he remains solid to Houston. Although Oliver did admit that he has not spoke to Coach Herman about that possibility yet

Rudolph plans A&M visit in offseason (Fletch)

Texas A&M offered South Carolina 2017 prospect Logan Rudolph earlier this week. While many thought it was at tight end, it turns out defensive coordinator John Chavis was behind this offer and offered him at outside linebacker.

“Coach Chavis really liked my film,” he said. “He told me that he wanted me to play outside linebacker at A&M.”

Rudolph has offers from over fifteen schools including Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina State, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, USC, Vanderbilt, and West Virginia. Most have his offers have been on defense though.

“I have some offers at tight end, but most are at defensive end or outside linebacker,” he said. “I want to play linebacker in college though.”

Rudolph wants to get to A&M sometime before the start of next season so he can get an opinion about A&M.

“I want to head out to A&M during the offseason,” he said. “It is one school I really want to learn more about.”

Obviously, South Carolina and Clemson will be tough to beat, but with South Carolina coaching still up the air, and Clemson not offering yet. A&M might be able to impress him enough to get a visit in the offseason and possibly an official visit next season.

Cedar Hill 2017 class visits A&M (Fletch)

One thing that is for sure in Dallas-Fort Worth next season is Cedar Hill’s recruiting class in 2017 will have a ton of talent. They’re rumored to possibly have a game with Tate Martell’s Bishop Gorman in 2016 and will likely be considered the best high school team in the nation for 2016. Outside linebacker Dimitri Moore (younger brother of Richard Moore), running back Kaegun Williams, wide receiver Charleston Rambo, tight end Kyland Richey (also a potential baseball prospect), and 2018 running back Joshua Fleek all were in town last weekend to check out the A&M game and the ones we were able to get in touch with were happy with the visit.

“It was great I had fun,” Moore said. “I loved the environment and had fun seeing Richard after the game.”

While there, all of the kids were able to talk with the A&M coaches about offers down the road.

“The coaches thanked us for coming,” Rambo said. “While none of us got an offer, they told us they would be keeping a close eye on us in the future.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News