ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
Delance sets four officials

With the de-commitment of Greg Little, North Mesquite OL Jean Delance has taken on added importance for Texas A&M’s 2016 class. We’ve learned that the 4-star has four official visits set up, and the destinations are impressive: Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and A&M. Texas, which had thought it had made some headway with Delance, is fighting for the final official.

The Aggies appear to be in pretty good shape with Delance, with Michigan thought to be the primary competitor for him. Of course, there’s no counting out Nick Saban or Urban Meyer ever, so expect this one to go all the way to the wire as Delance, as so many A&M commits are this year, waits until signing day or just before to decide.

Martell the start of a Gorman domino effect? (Rob)

With just under two weeks before Las Vegas Bishop Gorman 2017 4-star quarterback Tate Martell's decision on which school he will commit to, the final five schools are all likely counting the hours. Martell is the Rivals.com number 1 dual threat QB in the 2017 class and the second overall signal caller in the class. He is choosing August 20th between Texas A&M, Michigan, Washington, USC and Alabama.

While most within the program will not likely tip their hands, it is fair to assume they should be at least cautiously optimistic about their chances in landing the standout and with his commitment, comes an instant in with the rest of the talent on his team in Sin City.

A brief look at the rest of the 2017 recruiting class shows several players the Aggies will likely target if they land the commitment of Martell:

First up in the 2017 Bishop Gorman class is wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey, who comes in at number 20 in the 2017 Rivals100 and the 4-star speedster already holds an offer from the Aggies in addition to USC, Oregon, Texas Tech and more.

Next up from the Gorman class is defensive tackle Haskell Garrett who sneaks into the Rivals100 for 2017 at number 99. He was offered by the Aggies Thursday night, which is another indication to me that they are positioning themselves to do just what I am talking about here.

Four star Rivals250 safety Damuzhea Bolden, a tall rangy safety at 6-foot-3, 183 pounds who shows a forty time of 4.41 he is an intriguing prospect worth keeping an eye on as well moving forward.

These three players are 2017 targets that the Aggies would have instant credibility and pull with if they land the commitment of Martell and Bishop Gorman is known for quality talent coming and going each recruiting cycle.

In addition to the impact that Martell's commitment would have on his fellow Bishop Gorman teammates, his commitment would obviously spark the start of his recruitment of the top talent in the country to join him in College Station. Martell is that once per class player who can and will influence some of the top talent to follow him to his destination.

So, join the coaches in counting down the roughly 336 hours until Martell makes his decision known.

More from Vegas (Matt)

Las Vegas Bishop Gorman 2017 wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey picked up a new offer from the Texas A&M coaches this week.

Lindsey spoke with Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin and new wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead about the scholarship offer from the Aggies.

“This was the first time I heard from Texas A&M,” Lindsey said. “I spoke to the head coach, Kevin Sumlin, and Coach Moorehead earlier. They said that I would fit in perfectly with what they do on offense and they would like to see me in a Aggie uniform.

“Coach Moorehead explained that they are doing great things with their receivers and he would love to see me help contribute to that. Both coaches talked with me about taking a visit sometime this season and want me to feel welcome to contact them with any questions moving forward.”

The 5-foot-9, 175-pound prospect is teammates with the Aggies’ top 2017 quarterback prospect, Tate Martell, at Bishop Gorman. Martell recently visited College Station and returned with good things to tell the standout receiver.

“Tate told me that the place is phenomenal,” Lindsey said. “He said their facilities are crazy too. I know he really enjoyed the visit and I’m looking forward to learning more about A&M now that they have offered.”

Per our West Coast analyst, Blair Angulo, the two teammates are close and plan on attending the same college. Martell decides later this month and the offer to Lindsey could be a very intentional move by Kevin Sumlin and his staff.

Rated a four-star prospect, Lindsey is the No. 3 receiver in the nation, the No. 20 prospect in the latest 2017 Rivals100 national rankings and the No. 2 player on the Rivals.com Nevada Initial Top 10 for the 2017 class.

He finished with 884 yards and 15 touchdowns receiving along with 281 yards and two touchdowns rushing this past season.

The plan to pipeline Bishop Gorman three years in the making (Fletch)

When you look at Bishop Gorman the one thing that stands out to you is their record and the level of success they have had the last few years. Last year they were considered the top team in the nation by numerous outlets and their non-district schedule is usually a who’s who of top teams along the west coast. A&M has tried numerous times to get their foot into the school and setup a pipeline there.

It started in 2014 with offensive lineman Nick Gates who decided to go ahead and sign with Nebraska. They tried again in the class of 2015 with Snoop Dog’s son Cordell Broadus to come visit A&M for the A&M-Alabama back in 2014. Broadus declined the invite and signed with UCLA. For the class of 2016, the school did not produce a lot of top end talent with a few of them committed to UNLV. Now in the class of 2017, A&M is going to make a serious claim to grab all the talent the school has to offer with offers to Tate Martell, wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey, and defensive tackle Haskell Garrett. They might even try to grab 2017 safety Damuzhea Bolden who is a four-star and is a member of the Rivals250.

The crazy thing is nobody has successfully pipelined the school. Nebraska and Notre Dame have the most success there out of the big schools and UNLV could possibly keep a few of the big names at home now that the former coach of Bishop Gorman is now the head man at UNLV, but one of the biggest powers in the western part of the United States is available for the taking and A&M plans to do that as they want to expand their footprint past Arizona and into Nevada. The only place left to go after that is into California and if A&M starts winning a lot of games soon and put people into the NFL, the California schools will have to start worrying about A&M in the future.

Top 2017 OL Visits A&M (Fletch)

Texas A&M got a visit yesterday from one of the state’s fastest rising offensive lineman in Cypress-Fair 2017 offensive tackle Austin Deculus visited yesterday. The six foot, four inches, 265-pound lineman already has offers from Baylor, LSU, Miami, Michigan, and Texas Tech. Deculus enjoyed his trip to A&M and it reminded him of something close to him.

“I really liked the campus,” he said. “The set-up of the campus reminded me a lot of my high school.”

While on his visit, Deculus was able to sit down with offensive line coach Dave Christensen as the two talked about how Deculus would fit in at A&M.

“He told me about all the schemes he had planned for A&M this season,” he said. “He (Coach Christensen) is a very smart coach.”

Deculus was not able to find out if A&M was going to offer him, but was able to take a tour of the facilities.

“I did not get to see a lot of things and we did not talk about an offer much because Coach Sumlin was not there,” he said. “I really liked the facilities though that A&M has to offer.”

Deculus has had a busy summer as he has been touring a lot of school schools in Texas as well as other SEC schools too.

“I went to Baylor and Houston as well in Texas,” he said. “I went to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee out of state.”

Deculus is looking for two main things when trying to find what school will be the best fit for him after high school.

“I want a school that reminds me of home,” he said. “I also want to go to a school with a solid football program too.”

While many of the high school football players in Texas have dreams of winning district, making the playoffs, or winning state. Deculus has a different goal in mind for this season.

“I want our team to grow more as men,” he said. “It’s not about how many we win on the scoreboard, but getting ready to enter the real world as we grow together as a family and as a team.”

Deculus is a four star lineman and is a member of the Rivals250 for the class of 2017.

Work to be done on one top 2017 recruit (Fletch)

One of the top recruits in the state for 2017 is South Grand Prairie safety Jeffery Okudah. In 2017, Okudah is going to be considered the top defensive back in the state and will be a top target for A&M. Right now though, it appears A&M has some catching up to do. It appears not Alabama, not LSU, not Texas, but Stanford is the team to beat. Okudah went and visited Stanford over the summer and really fell in love with the place. More than one person close to Okudah told me that Stanford is at the top of his list right now. A few recruits have told me that Okudah has been talking to some top 2017 players about possibly joining him if he decides to commit to Stanford. While it is a long ways from over, it appears A&M will have some catching up to do in order to keep Okudah in-state.

(more in the next thread)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News