Tidbits, sponsored by Paul Cleveland State Farm

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
For all your home, car, and life insurance needs, contact our sponsor:

Phone: 281-971-3362

Email: paul@westhoustonsf.com

What's Buzz getting in Dexter Dennis?

At 6-5 and 210 pounds, Dennis, a Wichita State transfer, was one of the best players left in the portal. He averages 8.5 points a game and has hit as much as 40% of his 3s, but his forte is defense.
Dennis is a relentless, in your face defender who was regarded as the best stopper in the AAC. With his size, he's going to be able to handle both guards and small forwards, and he's not going to need any help in doing it.
His offensive game isn't complete, but it's not bad either. When he gets to the basket, he can throw it down -- kind of like Quentin Jackson. He averages about 5 rebounds a game, so he's not afraid to do the dirty work.
Dennis will either play the 2 or the 3 at A&M, and is capable of handling both roles offensively. And there's no question he can handle it defensively.
The Aggies were stung by the loss of Jackson and Hassan Diarra's unexpected departure. But their transfers, like last year, have made the team significantly better. They will almost certainly start the season ranked and, if they find their groove early, will be a dangerous out for SEC opponents.

A look at WR recruiting

I've been working on the 2023 big board and geez, I wish Jimbo would stop offering people. But more seriously, A&M has quietly gotten themselves into good position with a bunch of very good wideouts.
The biggest name is Shelton Sampson, and I keep hearing that the Aggies are just on the periphery of his list of favorites, but they're getting an official from the 5-star and, as we've learned, don't count them out as long as lines of communication are open.
The first commitment could come from Florida 4-star Hykeem Williams, who said he was down to a final four of Pitt, Alabama, Georgia and A&M. But it seems like it's more like UGA and A&M at this point and the Aggies lead. Williams is very similar to Josh Reynolds in terms of size and build, so hopefully he'd be an equal in production.
A&M is definitely in it for both Jalen Hale and Johntay Cook, and both will be back in town this summer. Cook may head to Texas if they get Arch Manning, but otherwise, I think A&M and Texas are even. Hale's a little quieter about things, so it's tough to gauge him.
I think A&M leads for two other very good out of state receivers, Christian Hamilton from North Carolina and Adam Hopkins from Georgia. Hamilton will still be a tough get because the Tar Heels are after him too, but I think A&M has the advantage for Hopkins over FSU right now.
The Aggies are also after Rockwall's Noble Johnson, but they were a late arrival to the party and will have some work to do.

Offensive tackle recruiting

If there's a position that will give me a hand cramp from cutting and pasting while assembling the big board, it's offensive tackle. A&M has a TON of offers out, but is only now getting momentum.
A&M has Colton Thomasson under wraps, and that is looking like an increasingly strong get as time goes on. But otherwise, it's been a bit of a struggle. I like where they are with Connor Stroh, but I really think he's a guard at the next level. A very good one, but still a guard.
I think the Aggies are in good shape with New Orleans St. Augustine's Tyree Adams, since they got in on him early. But Georgia and LSU lurk as well. They're also in on Elishah Jackett, out of California, but he definitely needs to bulk up. He's 6-7, but only 260.
One guy the Aggies are looking at as a tackle who is listed by Rivals as a guard is New Jersey native Chase Bisonitis. He'll official to A&M this summer, and you know that Elijah Robinson will be helping Steve Addazio with him. Gotta get as many Jersey guys on that as possible.
The Aggies are looking really good at guard, with the likes of 5-star TJ Shanahan (who is playing right tackle this fall) and Odessa Permian's Harris Sewell seriously interested. But they really need to keep pushing on the tackle front -- and maybe they've gotten movement with a guy who seemed oddly off the radar. More below.

We need a graphics guy... no we don't
A couple of months back, the Aggies suffered a fairly significant loss when graphics standout Payton Aufill left A&M to go back to Texas Tech, his alma mater. This morning, the Aggies had their new graphics guy introduce himself.
It's Payton Aufill. I don't know what happened, but it's a huge boost for A&M's recruiting to get him back.

Recruiting bits (Courtney)

Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill has scheduled his official visits.

Oklahoma June 3

Alabama June 10

USC June 15

Texas June 24

Texas A&M July 29

The talent Jimbo Fisher and company have brought in is one of the major reasons Hill is drawn to A&M.

“Texas A&M's historic 2022 class did a phenomenal job of stacking top-tier talent on the defensive line and in the secondary. “ - Rivals

Hill's pass rush ability along with his skill to cover sideline-to-sideline as an inside linebacker makes him the top player at his position in the country.

Hill’s Junior season record included 131 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and two interceptions.

Arlington Lamar 2023 four-star offensive tackle Isaiah Robinson will be in Aggieland on Saturday for an unofficial visit.

A&M has been out to Robinson’s practice this spring. Robinson was at A&M for the Alabama game and hopes to develop his relationship with OL coach Steve Addazio.

Robinson has one official scheduled to Cal June 9. I would bet one of the remaining four officials will be to Texas A&M.

A&M & Oklahoma battling it out for Katy Paetow five-star defensive end David Hicks (Courtney)

"I like the A&M staff a lot," he said. "Especially Coach Robinson, I've been knowing him since I was in the eighth grade. Coach Williams, I have a good relationship with him. I like that staff a lot."

A&M steals their director of on campus recruiting back from Baylor

SEC's best golfer? Look no further

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News