ADVERTISEMENT

TIDBITS (part 1)

Mark Passwaters

Staff
Dec 4, 2003
A&M offers Louisiana offensive lineman (Fletch)

A&M continues to try and rack up as many lineman as they can as A&M offered Bossier City offensive lineman Colton Prater. The six foot, four inches, 270-pound lineman has other offers from Mississippi State, TCU, and Utah. Prater was happy to get the offer from A&M.
“I was happy when Coach Christensen called and told me A&M wanted to offer,” he said. “It means a lot to get offered by them.”
Prater was offered to play at A&M as either a guard or center as the new offensive line coach was impressed with what he saw out of the lineman.
“Coach Christensen told me that he and Coach Sumlin sat down and reviewed my film together,” he said. “They compared me to other interior offensive lineman and decided I was their number one interior lineman prospect and they wanted to offer.”
Prater is not real focused on recruiting right now as he is looking to get through spring ball and the rest of the school year before he gets back into recruiting, but will plan trips soon to schools.
“I’ll probably make some trips either this spring or fall,” he said. “I went to A&M’s Friday Night Lights and will likely go back down to A&M soon.”

Comparing A&M’s three 2017 QB offers (Fletch)

A&M offered three quarterback prospects this week in the 2017 class as Denton Guyer’s Shawn Robinson, Las Vegas’s Tate Martell, and Chandler, (AZ)’s Ryan Kelley. Two of them are pretty similar while the other is rather an unknown nationally. Here is the order I would rank the three.
Shawn Robinson-The Denton Guyer QB is considered the next mega star at the quarterback position. Robinson got the starting job after North Texas signee Kevin Dillman went down with a shoulder injury and beat out SMU commit David Moore (Moore visited A&M and was never offered). Robinson was the only quarterback in the state last year who I thought was the closest to being on Kyler Murray’s level last year. Robinson threw for 2,811 yards with 33 touchdowns and five interceptions. He also rushed for 1,415 yards and seventeen touchdowns. If I had to compare him to any quarterback, he would remind me the most of Vince Young. Only difference is he can throw the ball better than him.
Tate Martell-The Las Vegas QB told me that he got interested in A&M after watching Johnny Manziel play. Martell is now trying his best to play with a similar style. Martell threw for 2,537 yards with forty touchdowns and only two interceptions. He only rushed for 433 yards last season, but he did not need to make many run plays. Martell on film also is very good at avoiding pass rushers and moves around very well to make throws on the wrong. Only thing I worry about is level of competition that he has gone against. Usually the best competition he sees is in practice.
Ryan Kelley-Sadly not much is known since there is no highlight film from last season, however he threw for 3,108 yards and thirty touchdowns, but there was sixteen interceptions as well. Reports are that he does have a good arm and good movement from his time at the Rivals Camps.

The latest on 2016/2015 Kilgore JC CB J'Marcus Rhodes (Rob)

We touched recently on the very sought after junior college cornerback who was making an effort to finish his school in the summer in order to re-classify himself as a 2015 guy and enroll in his college of choice in the fall.

Many schools have checked on the youngster and have offered him, including the Aggies.

The way I understand the situation currently is that it is not a done deal that Rhodes is going to be able to complete his academic responsibilities in time. That hasn't stopped schools from across the country from throwing their hat in the ring just in case.

The way I speculate this is going to play out is for many of the top teams in the country offering Rhodes on the hopes they can steal a high level player as a late addition to the 2015 class. If by chance he does not finish his school in the summer then schools can then evaluate if they want to leave their offer on the table for Rhodes who would then almost certainly be an early enrollee for the 2016 class.

In the Aggies' case, he is a take 100% if he finishes in the summer. If by chance he does not, they will re-evalute Rhodes versus other targets in the 2016 class to see if he would still be a take.

We'll continue to follow this one as it unfolds and pass along more as we get it.

Is Michigan CB Blake Countess an option? (Rob)

This one is still in it's early stages as former 4-star CB out of Good Counsel in Maryland has announced he is transferring from Michigan and has already been given his release. He is looking to transfer elsewhere to play his final season of eligibility. Countess had some early success at Michigan but had some good players come in and take playing time away from him.

My initial thought was that the Aggies would not be an option as the last time I remember this situation coming up when the Aggies were involved (Houston RB Charles Simms transferring before his final season), there was an SEC rule which prohibited them from getting graduate transfers with only one year remaining.

That however has changed or Countess falls under a different situation I am unaware of and the Aggies will at least check into the situation to see if there is some mutual interest. One would have to think the potential to come in and play quickly in a system that needs quality cornerbacks very badly will be appealing to Countess who will have one final season to attract attention for any potential pro career.

North Shore 2016 and 2017 DB’s Talk A&M & Recruiting (Courtney)

Eric Monroe is ranked the No. 4 safety nationally for the 2016 class and four-star cornerback Kieston Roach is on the 2017 Rivals100 watch list; rankings like these bring all the coaches to the North Shore practice fields.

Not even the Tuesday thunderstorms stopped Alabama from stopping in. Coaches from all over have done the same, although there is a few schools Monroe has consistently kept in the conversation— Baylor, LSU and Texas A&M.

Monroe said he would be narrowing his list down and more thank likely announcing at the opening what programs have made the cut. LSU, A&M and Baylor should feel comfortable about their chances.

Kieston Roach said he has seen a lot of coaches come through, but he is just focusing on working hard. He has not received offers yet, but that should change soon after spring evaluations. He said he is interested in Texas schools—Texas, Baylor and Texas A&M are three he mentioned in conversation.

Flood Gates Have Opened for Edna Karr Defensive End Andre Anthony (Courtney)

New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr weakside defensive end Andre Anthony received offers in just this week along from Auburn, Missouri, Alabama, Oregon and Florida.

Texas A&M area recruiter Coach Terry Joseph was in house earlier this spring to see Anthony and then returned on Thursday with defensive coordinator John Chavis. Expect Anthony to receive that A&M offer in the very near future.

"I'd be excited," said Anthony. "It would be kind of a surprise to me you know being Texas A&M. I could say they would be in my top ten - top five, basically they'd be one of my top schools. "

Last summer Anthony weighed in at 203 pounds, and now after seeing him at the Dallas Rivals camp he is no question a massive 6-foot-4 and is projected to be playing closer to around 230-pounds. A monster with speed and athleticism--it was only a matter of time, time for area recruiters to see him in person and follow up with a defensive coordinator visit, before big-time programs took notice.

There are several key factors Anthony is looking for in a program.

"A school that makes me feel at home, and one that shows interest in me as a person and a player." he said. "I want to have built a good relationship with the coaches and team, also I want a school that has my major, which is going to be business and entrepreneurship. Then also just a school with a great program, expects me to come in and play for them and has a bright future for me."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.