ADVERTISEMENT

The Cupcake Diaries

Reckless75

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2008
Times are changing in the art of scheduling cupcakes to play early in the season to tune up your team before playing the big boys.

My observations of games this and last weekend tell me the transfer portal is having a profound effect on the distribution of talent across all levels of conferences and is leveling the table.

I saw multiple games between traditional big boys and cupcakes where the competition was tight, with some very close games.....and some upsets. Probably more upsets than we have normally seen.

The transfer portal is keeping more talent in college. Instead of dropping out when they don't make the two deep roster, now players are transferring to where they can play and develop. You go through the rosters of these smaller schools now and you find they are many times loaded with transfers from some very good or elite programs.

The gap in talent between the top teams, the mid-level teams and the bottom tier teams is narrowing.

Despite the gnashing of teeth from the bluebloods, it is improving the competition and will increase interest in games that would normally have been a second thought.

The cupcakes are turning into pound cakes, and teams better be prepared when they step on the field for these "tune-ups".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News