ADVERTISEMENT

thank you - for taking him off our hands... from an FSU Golden Chief

This seems to be a Nole "feel better" thread. I understand, anyone would feel resentful if our coach were taken by another school. Jumbo left FSU far, far better than he found it. If Noles fans wish to ignore this apparent fact or not give him credit so be it. A&M is very fortunate to have so many very wealthy committed former students that allow for its world class facilities across the board (athletic and otherwise). Some day you all should tour the campus! It seems you are happy to be ride of him and we are happy to have him. Everyone is happy.
Exactly. I’m sure your campus is nice and glad Jimbo has everything the could ever want. It was time for him to go after a losing season from #3 ranked preseason talent made up of 4 top 5 recruiting classes. When he took over our low point was a 7-6 winning season and we moved on from Bobby Bowden. Jimbo got us Jameis and and NC and we are grateful. He left here a loser and had lost the team and many fans were over him. Fresh start for all, time will tell.

The ACC is certainly not better than the SEC this year.

Bama beat FSU even when Deondre Francois was healthy. Georgia beat Georgia Tech on Tech's home field. Miami beat no one except a three loss Notre Dame team at home
And Clemson beat Auburn. And FSU beat UF way easier than TAMU.
So what 's your point ?

Reactions: ClemsonCalhoun
The ACC is without question the better conference this year.

Even with a down FSU. That says something.

FSU would have done anything they could to keep Fisher, period. As your AD said, they simply couldn't compete. Maybe after the new ACC tv contract in a couple of years, maybe. Fisher felt Clemson and others had blown past FSU's facilities. That is simply the truth and everyone knows it. FSU is a fine and proud institution, please show some dignity.
i know this to be 100% false... I know this b/c I talk directly to people that make these decisions.... you guys presented FSU an opportunity to exit a bad trade, profitably. no two things are more easily separated than a fool and his money. A+M will rue the day they agreed to this contract...

Reactions: ClemsonCalhoun
This seems to be a Nole "feel better" thread. I understand, anyone would feel resentful if our coach were taken by another school. Jumbo left FSU far, far better than he found it. If Noles fans wish to ignore this apparent fact or not give him credit so be it. A&M is very fortunate to have so many very wealthy committed former students that allow for its world class facilities across the board (athletic and otherwise). Some day you all should tour the campus! It seems you are happy to be rid of him and we are happy to have him. Everyone is happy.

Nole here. Fisher no doubt turned FSU around after it was being led into a ditch for nearly a decade. He is a tremendous organizer. Knows what he wants. Focused, Driven, etc. He is no nonsense to a point where either you get on board or he moves through you. FSU hired him as an OC, but as he grew as a HC he knew what he wanted for a program. He laid a championship foundation right away that allowed him to have the top two or three record of all active head coaches until he left. He is a master recruiter.

aTm has the purse strings to offer him all that he wants at his disposal. I have met and spoken to him several times and he has been nothing short of cordial. The problem with many FSU folks is that they feel Fisher should have been more 'loyal'. Well, loyalty comes with a caveat....you need to reciprocate with the same goals and objectives of a program. Fisher's vision and FSU's vision never paralleled. It always seemed to be a struggle. FSU would have to raise money instead of just scratching out a check. It had to go through red tape and hem and haw a bit before conceding to Fisher's requests. Sometimes FSU would just balk at a request or want to do a short cut version (remodel existing building for football only facility for half the money it would cost for a new state of the art facility, etc. Fisher firmly believes this is an arms race. I used that term several years ago and it is just as true today as it was back then before it has become more popular. FSU has a lot of built in advantages. It does spend money to upgrade. It just cannot spend the money other programs like aTm can spend.

Again, it was just a bad marriage. You all have just hired one of the top coaches in college football. Whether he can duplicate at aTm what he did at FSU is up for debate. We will all find out in a few years. You all seem like a pretty classy bunch so please do not think all 'Noles are bitter old people. Some can actually look at things pretty objectively.

Reactions: shakeypuddin
Nole here. Fisher no doubt turned FSU around after it was being led into a ditch for nearly a decade. He is a tremendous organizer. Knows what he wants. Focused, Driven, etc. He is no nonsense to a point where either you get on board or he moves through you. FSU hired him as an OC, but as he grew as a HC he knew what he wanted for a program. He laid a championship foundation right away that allowed him to have the top two or three record of all active head coaches until he left. He is a master recruiter.

aTm has the purse strings to offer him all that he wants at his disposal. I have met and spoken to him several times and he has been nothing short of cordial. The problem with many FSU folks is that they feel Fisher should have been more 'loyal'. Well, loyalty comes with a caveat....you need to reciprocate with the same goals and objectives of a program. Fisher's vision and FSU's vision never paralleled. It always seemed to be a struggle. FSU would have to raise money instead of just scratching out a check. It had to go through red tape and hem and haw a bit before conceding to Fisher's requests. Sometimes FSU would just balk at a request or want to do a short cut version (remodel existing building for football only facility for half the money it would cost for a new state of the art facility, etc. Fisher firmly believes this is an arms race. I used that term several years ago and it is just as true today as it was back then before it has become more popular. FSU has a lot of built in advantages. It does spend money to upgrade. It just cannot spend the money other programs like aTm can spend.

Again, it was just a bad marriage. You all have just hired one of the top coaches in college football. Whether he can duplicate at aTm what he did at FSU is up for debate. We will all find out in a few years. You all seem like a pretty classy bunch so please do not think all 'Noles are bitter old people. Some can actually look at things pretty objectively.
The problem with Fisher is that he turned the program around twice. 7-6 to MNC to 5-6. On top of that he was always a threat to leave, very abrasive, and surrounded himself with great recruiters that were mediocre to terrible coaches/yes men. His personal life was a mess and it showed in his coaching and demeanor. He's like a boat. I was extremely happy when we got him and I'm just as happy now that he's someone else's problem.

I couldn’t find PalmValleynole’s thread to bump, but this one still has some gems in it that we’ve come to recognize as truths. I’m still glad we have Jimbo, but hope he is smart enough to recognize his blind spots and change strategies. Saban did it and hasn’t looked back.

Reactions: saheat
Its not trash it is true. I have followed FSU for 40 years. I have met Jimbo many times and much has changed in the last 24 years. Look at him this year and compare to videos 5 years ago. He will lay your foundation for the next guy but I guarantee you he is not the guy . No trash. I am tickled pink he is gone and hopefully we get Tagg or in my dream Frost
Boy this one didn't age well...LOL

• Haha
Reactions: aristoytler
I couldn’t find PalmValleynole’s thread to bump, but this one still has some gems in it that we’ve come to recognize as truths. I’m still glad we have Jimbo, but hope he is smart enough to recognize his blind spots and change strategies. Saban did it and hasn’t looked back.
Good luck with all that. He's stubborn as a mule.

Reactions: EvilTwin and saheat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT